cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Maxpower1123
Level II

Correlation for binary data in different columns

Hi

So I have a very large dataset full of 1's and 0's for each column. I am trying to see if there is any correlation between some of the particular columns.

I am trying to correlate data on inside an area vs. outside of the area to see if there are any significant differences between people inside and outside these areas. And I am doing it for many different areas. It is a survey with yes and no answers, so the columns would look something like this with "no" as 0 and "yes" as 1.

Inside area               Outside area

0                               0

0                               0

0                               1

0                               1

1                               1

etc.                           etc.

I am not sure how to go about this. I have tried the "Fit Y by X" option with column 1 as Y, Response and column 2 as X, Factor but the result don't really look right. 

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Maxpower1123
Level II

Re: Correlation for binary data in different columns

Yes, I tried to use the method on a couple of different areas and it looks good!

I was looking at the number of 1's and the are 44 in the control group and 66 in the test, so I was just expecting there to be a larger difference than 22 in order for it to be significant. But as you mention one would also need to consider that there is a difference in total sample size between the two groups, so I can see that now. The p-value of 0.0001 just threw me of a bit, as I was not expecting it to be that low.

But thank you so much, Dan! You have been extremely helpful and I sincerely appreciate it!