cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
nathan-clark
Level VI

Control Legend Layout / Length

When making a graph - I see it mostly in Fit Y by X but it does happen in others, when I add a row legend to a graph, JMP will create very long lists of legends when there are many categories.

Can we control the number of columns the legend comes out in? I would like JMP to dynamically match it to the height of the graph so that the legend isn't ever taller than the graph itself. I sometimes have 20+ categories in my legend and I haven't found a way to get a useful legend to show that isn't super long. This makes the report look less than great and is also a pain when you want to copy the graph somewhere else.

Attached is an image of an example of what I see and also an example of what a Fit Curve plot shows, which is a nicer layout with many categories. If there isn't any way to do this, that I've missed, I'll put it on the Wish List

Thanks!

nathan-clark_0-1618320038175.png

nathan-clark_1-1618320148564.png

4 REPLIES 4
txnelson
Super User

Re: Control Legend Layout / Length

You may want to do this graph using Graph Builder, which does provide some Legend control.
Jim
nathan-clark
Level VI

@txnelson I will look into that, thanks! It could certainly help with this graph, but there are others where I need Fit Y by X because I also use some of the statistical portions of the platform. Which is why I think this would be a good 'standard' for JMP to do when handling legends in general.

txnelson
Super User

I suggest that as you indicated that you will add the enhancement to the JMP Wish List.
Also, at times, I will close the graph in Fit Y by X and use Graph Builder's image to display the results.
Jim
nathan-clark
Level VI

Also a good suggestion ... for the 'big picture' of this example, it may be possible but a little messier - but it could still work.

Beyond that, it's a good general suggestion for the happy medium between statistics and display

Thanks!