cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
lisamaley
Level III

Confidence Intervals For Cpk

I was trying to replicate the confidence intervals for Cpk in JMP.  I found this page which details the formula:

https://www.jmp.com/support/help/en/17.0/#page/jmp/statistical-details-for-capability-analysis.shtml

This page says the equation is:

lisamaley_0-1668528334080.png

So this is the example I am trying to match, 

lisamaley_2-1668528409606.png

since it is 95%, the lower confidence interval should be (32 is the sample sample size):

lisamaley_3-1668528605368.png

This equals, 6.075.  JMP says it is 5.532.  Am I doing something wrong or is this not the correct formula, why is it not matching?

When I use this calculation for Ppk, I get the correct answers, but not Cpk.

I am on macOS Monterey 12.6 and JMP Pro 16.0.0.

Lisa
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Confidence Intervals For Cpk

The formula looks correct, or at least close to others that can be found on the internet. Following your values, I get the same results as you both in JMP and with my hand calculations. I also tried several other examples and my hand calculations never match what JMP is providing. I think this might be something that you take to JMP Tech Support to see if they can determine what is going on.

Dan Obermiller
lisamaley
Level III

Will do.  thank you!

You might also take a look at this page for more detail about how the CI is currently calculated. Your result at the top appears to be from a legacy platform that might not be up to date. The key difference is the use of DF that are not necessarily N-1.DF depends on how the sigma is determined. The developer is looking into this matter, too.

lisamaley
Level III

Thanks. I tried the new calculation and am still getting different results.    I forwarded an email to jmp support.