cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ALopez
Level III

Concatenate a list of Tables and add a "Source Column"

I Have a list of open tables (names) that I want to concatenate and add a new “Source Column” that can be retrieved from the same list of table names. I have tried all the previous “solutions: published on this Discussion board without luck (only partial luck)

I can get my concatenated tables following a solution published by TXNelson, but I cannot seem to be able to get the “Source Column” to work.  I will appreciate any help solving this one.

tables = {"R1", "R2", "R3"};
TablesN ={};
For(k = 1, k <= n Rows ( Data Table(tables[i] )),k++, 
Insert Into(TablesN, Data Table (tables [i] ) << get name));
// the concatenation works like a charm Data Table = New Table ("RST"); For( i = 1, i <= N Items( tables ), i++, Data Table( "RST" ) << Concatenate( Data Table( tables[i] ), append to first table(1) ); //Close( Data Table( tables[i] ), No Save ); ); // this part fails
data table( "RST" ) << add multiple columns("Source Table", 1, before first, character ); :Source Table << set values( TablesN );
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Concatenate a list of Tables and add a "Source Column"

The last part should work if the list has any values. Check out the first for loop; it uses k as iterator but inside the loop i, not defined, is used as list index.

A source column can also be created automatically with Concatenate() as in the example below

// Create a list of data tables
names = {"R1", "R2", "R3"};
tables = {};
For( i = 1, i <= N Items( names ), i++,
	Insert Into( tables, Data Table( names[i] ) )
);

// Concat all and create a source column in one step
dt = New Table( "RST" );
dt << concatenate( tables, append to first table( 1 ), create source column( 1 ) );

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

The last part should work if the list has any values. Check out the first for loop; it uses k as iterator but inside the loop i, not defined, is used as list index.

A source column can also be created automatically with Concatenate() as in the example below

// Create a list of data tables
names = {"R1", "R2", "R3"};
tables = {};
For( i = 1, i <= N Items( names ), i++,
	Insert Into( tables, Data Table( names[i] ) )
);

// Concat all and create a source column in one step
dt = New Table( "RST" );
dt << concatenate( tables, append to first table( 1 ), create source column( 1 ) );
ALopez
Level III

Hi MS,

I tested your code:

dt = New Table( "RST" );

and it creates a pop up window that would allow me to select the tables to concatenate, which defeats the purpose of creating a script to automate the process.  It does not iterate through the "tables" list.  I am using JMP 15 .
Just FYI, this is the post that I have been using to guide me. Thanks.
https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/JSL-bug-Concatenate-all-opened-table-into-1-table-and-close...

ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

The list tables must contain data table objects (first part of my code illustrate one way do create such a list) and all tables must still be open when the code is run. Otherwise you'll get the pop-ip window. 

After the code is run, you can close all (saved) data tables in the list in one step with tables << close window;.

ALopez
Level III

@ms - Yes, I had the "names" not the objects. Thank you very much for taking the time to help me.
Best regards,
Alfredo