cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
marc1
Level III

Comparing individual groups to a baseline group

Hello,

a medical statistic problem for me:

- a discrete outcome variable - alive - 1/0

- multiple groups, which I created by binning a continuos variable per percentiles (0-25,25-50,50-75,75-100)

- for each group, I created a specific column (0-25, 25-50, 50-75, 75-100) which is again 1/0

my problem:

I want to set all the patients in group 1 (0-25) as a baseline group and compare each individual (25-50, 50-75,75-100) to the baseline group (0-25) and subsequently calculate OR in relation to the baseline group (0-25) - example attached.

PatientOutcome0-25%25-50%50-75%75-100%
A10100
B11000
C10010
D00001
E01000

Many thanks for your help and ideas ! Marc

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Comparing individual groups to a baseline group

I would setup you data table differently. 3 columns, Patient, Outcome, Percentile. Percentile would have the values "0-25", "26-50" etc. Then, make sure all of your columns are set to a Modeling Type of "Nominal". Then you can run the Fit Y by X platform, and by using a Local Data Filter, that you would set to select on Percentile, you can then select the grouping you want to compare, and JMP would perform a Chi Square analysis on the groups.
Jim

View solution in original post

dale_lehman
Level VII

I echo txnelson's suggestion and would add two things.  First, consider using the percentiles ungrouped - you can always group them later, but there is no reason to lose detail in the data. Second, this type of data is often censored data - in other words, the people who have not died have not died yet.  Only if you have a context where the treatment period (or whatever time period you are using) is over, is the 0/1 response variable the correct way to view this.  Instead, you might try the survival platform (e.g., fit prorportional hazard model) - but you would need to have a continous response variable which is usually the time at which death occurs.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Thierry_S
Super User

Hi,
I'm not sure we can help you with this level of information. Could you clarify a couple of points?
Is it correct that for each groups A - E, you have the actual frequency of death which you expressed as 1 or 0 depending on the quartile these belong to?
What is the relationship between the Outcome column and the other columns (if any)?
Most importantly, what is the scientific / medical question you need to address?
Thierry R. Sornasse
marc1
Level III

Hi - for clarity 

Column A represents individual patients - about 3000 - I just listed here just as example (A-E)

Column B - outcome - my outcome variable (Y)

Column C, D, E, F - group distribution related to their percentile distribution and binned for percentiles

Column C would be my reference group

What is the outcome (B) in regards to OR for patients in group D to C, group E to C and group F to C.

Thanks a lot for looking into this. Marc

txnelson
Super User

I would setup you data table differently. 3 columns, Patient, Outcome, Percentile. Percentile would have the values "0-25", "26-50" etc. Then, make sure all of your columns are set to a Modeling Type of "Nominal". Then you can run the Fit Y by X platform, and by using a Local Data Filter, that you would set to select on Percentile, you can then select the grouping you want to compare, and JMP would perform a Chi Square analysis on the groups.
Jim
dale_lehman
Level VII

I echo txnelson's suggestion and would add two things.  First, consider using the percentiles ungrouped - you can always group them later, but there is no reason to lose detail in the data. Second, this type of data is often censored data - in other words, the people who have not died have not died yet.  Only if you have a context where the treatment period (or whatever time period you are using) is over, is the 0/1 response variable the correct way to view this.  Instead, you might try the survival platform (e.g., fit prorportional hazard model) - but you would need to have a continous response variable which is usually the time at which death occurs.

marc1
Level III

Thank you both - the local data filter made it easy for me to compare those groups.

Indeed I first run the mixed model with continuos variable (time to death), however as many even high impact medical journals tend more to binning of variables (which I personally dont support) I added this as a new feature for my article. 

I also run cox proportional hazard, but I restricted my analysis now to multivariate models , which seem also better to fit using nominal variables only , as mixed (continuos and nominal variables) give me a lot of times a positive lack of fit test.

Thanks again for your help !