cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Have your say in shaping JMP's future by participating in the new JMP Wish List Prioritization Survey
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
user8421
Level II

Combining Date Column and Time Column to Create Timestamp

For a data table with a date column and a time column, I create a new column that uses the formula Date + Time to create a timestamp.  However the formula seems to work inconsistently where some of the timestamps result in being 4 YEARS previous than what they should be.

DateTimeTimestamp (formula)
2021 - 10 - 0112:05 AM10/01/2021 12:05 AM
2021 - 10 - 236:59 PM10/23/2017 6:59 PM
2021 - 11 - 077:45 PM11/07/2017 7:45 PM

Is there a better way to generate a timestamp that avoids whatever causes this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Combining Date Column and Time Column to Create Timestamp

Assuming that your Date column and your Time column are JMP date/time values, my suggestion is that you need to change the display format for your 2 columns to display both date and time to see if the Time column contains date values  In this example, Column 6 and Column 7 display the same time values, 

txnelson_0-1645062309651.png

however, when one examines the actual numeric values, they are completely different.

txnelson_1-1645062620851.png

The Column 6 actually contains the date component , so what I am guessing is that in your time value, there are additional date related values

txnelson_2-1645062823276.png

Jim

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
txnelson
Super User

Assuming that your Date column and your Time column are JMP date/time values, my suggestion is that you need to change the display format for your 2 columns to display both date and time to see if the Time column contains date values  In this example, Column 6 and Column 7 display the same time values, 

txnelson_0-1645062309651.png

however, when one examines the actual numeric values, they are completely different.

txnelson_1-1645062620851.png

The Column 6 actually contains the date component , so what I am guessing is that in your time value, there are additional date related values

txnelson_2-1645062823276.png

Jim
user8421
Level II

Thanks for the explanation.  When I changed the format of the Time column it showed different dates with one being the 01/01/1994 and the other 12/31/1899.  The raw data that is pulled into JMP lists the time only, so I am unclear how the date is "assigned" to the times.  How can I address the discrepancy, so that the dates are consistent in the time columns?

txnelson
Super User

I would run the 2 scripts below to make sure the Date values only point to the start of the day you are specify.  Just up to the start of the day 00:00:00.

Names Default To Here( 1 );
dt = Current Data Table();
For Each Row(
	:date = Date MDY(
		Month( :date ),
		Day( :date ),
		Year( :date )
	)
);

And with a slightly different approach, fix the :Time column

Names Default To Here( 1 );
dt = Current Data Table();
For Each Row(
	:time = Hour( :time ) * 3600 
	+ Minute( :time ) * 60
	+ Second( :time )
);

These 2 scripts will insure that Date has no times in the data, and the second one has no dates in :Time

Jim