cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
mann
Level III

Colored Bars in Tabulate Chart

Is there a way (I am hoping via scripting) that will allow me to color the bars in the chart of a tabulate window.  Also, is there way to get rid of the red dots in the background.  This chart is a much nicer way of displaying some data, but it is not very customizable.Tabulate ChartTabulate Chart

8 REPLIES 8
txnelson
Super User

Re: Colored Bars in Tabulate Chart

I am not seeing any options to change the bar color or to get rid of the red dots. The chart is contained within a MultiTblPlotColBox(), which does not surface to JSL any specific options.
The only solution that I can suggest, is to take the results from your Tabulate Table, and to make it into a data table, and then run the Distribution Platform or Graph Builder against that output. You will get much further along in getting the changes you want.
Jim
mann
Level III

That is the tedious route I was trying to avoid. Thanks for helping me understand the reasons.

If you are planning on scripting it, then you may want to explore Summary under the Tables menu and then use Graph Builder or Distribution.  Script the two together and it will be faster as well.  Maybe something like this:

Names Default to Here (1);
Open("$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp");
Data Table( "Big Class" ) << Summary(
	Group( :age, :sex ),
	Mean( :height ),
	Mean( :weight ),
	Freq( "None" ),
	Weight( "None" ),
	statistics column name format( "stat of column" ),
	Link to original data table( 0 ),
	output table name( "Big Class Summary" )
);
dts= Data Table ("Big Class Summary");

dts << Graph Builder(
	Size( 534, 448 ),
	Show Control Panel( 0 ),
	Variables( X( :sex ), Y( :Mean of height ), Y( :Mean of weight ) ),
	Elements( Position( 1, 1 ), Histogram( X, Y, Legend( 5 ) ) ),
	Elements( Position( 1, 2 ), Histogram( X, Y, Legend( 6 ) ) ),
	SendToReport(
		Dispatch(
			{},
			"400",
			ScaleBox,
			{Legend Model( 5, Properties( 0, {Line Color( 0 ), Fill Color( 3 )} ) ),
			Legend Model( 6, Properties( 0, {Line Color( 0 ), Fill Color( 5 )} ) )}
		)
	)
);
Chris Kirchberg, M.S.2
Data Scientist, Life Sciences - Global Technical Enablement
JMP Statistical Discovery, LLC. - Denver, CO
Tel: +1-919-531-9927 ▪ Mobile: +1-303-378-7419 ▪ E-mail: chris.kirchberg@jmp.com
www.jmp.com
mann
Level III

There may be a solution to my problem in there, but I cannot immediately determine how to summarize the original data so that I can plot it by percent within a group (height or weight) across the bins (male and female). "Summarize" will give me percent of total in the wrong dimension - across all groups
Maybe there is a much better solution: If I use "Big Class" and plot using graph builder: height on Y and sex on GroupX and show it all as a histogram: the histogram is by count. I would love to see it by percent (and then I can color by my third column).
pmroz
Super User

Can you post some sample data?

mann
Level III

These are what I am using now.  I would like to be able to plot these with percent instead of by count.  That way the data from 13 does not make the data from 06 seem to disappear.

Untitled3.png

Hi @mann,

I think what @pmroz is asking is what is the structure of the data table that you are using to create the table in tabulate? What are the columns and rows?

Chris

Chris Kirchberg, M.S.2
Data Scientist, Life Sciences - Global Technical Enablement
JMP Statistical Discovery, LLC. - Denver, CO
Tel: +1-919-531-9927 ▪ Mobile: +1-303-378-7419 ▪ E-mail: chris.kirchberg@jmp.com
www.jmp.com
mann
Level III

My apologies. We can use the Big Class data set and the code that was provided above by Chris. The histogram chart generated by that script shows COUNTS of students at each height and weight by male and female. I want to show the percent of students at each height and weight by male and female.
Tabulate does this just fine, but I could not then cause tall students to be purple, and middle weight students to be blue.
Graph builder does allow that kind of coloring, but does not allow the histogram by percentages, only by counts.