cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Steven_Moore
Level VI

Chi-Square Analysis: WHERE is it in JMP?

Chi-Square Analysis:  WHERE is it in JMP?  Pretty simple in other software, but I would like to do it in JMP.  I have data to determine if certain departments have disproportionately high injury rates compared to the overall rate.  A goodness-of-fit exercise.

Steve
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
pmroz
Super User

Re: Chi-Square Analysis: WHERE is it in JMP?

Did you search the help in JMP?  Found it in 2 seconds.

Help > Search the Help

Enter Chi-Square and hit Enter.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
pmroz
Super User

Did you search the help in JMP?  Found it in 2 seconds.

Help > Search the Help

Enter Chi-Square and hit Enter.

Steven_Moore
Level VI

Yes, I did try the help, but did not get to what I was specifically looking for :(

Steve
pmroz
Super User

Can you post some of your data?

Steven_Moore
Level VI

Here's what I am trying to get JMP to do for me (done in Excel):  Calculated the Chi-Square Stats for each department and total:

DeptStaff LevelObserved InjuriesStaff ProportionExpected InjuriesExpected-Observed(Expected-Obs)^2Chi-Squared
A5310.1257.636.6343.95.76
B1250.0281.73-3.2710.76.21
C46130.1086.62-6.3840.76.15
D78140.18411.22-2.787.70.69
E91170.21513.09-3.9115.31.17
F3730.0875.322.325.41.01
G2930.0684.171.171.40.33
H2930.0684.171.171.40.33
I4920.1167.055.0525.53.62
Totals424611.00061Total Chi-Sq =25.26
Steve
louv
Staff (Retired)

smoore2,

Is this what you were trying to do?

I believe Lou has the proper approach. However, his example included the full raw data table for the different departments. Just in case you had summarized data (as presented in the sample data you provided), you would want to conduct your analysis using Frequency variables. I have included that example here.

Dan Obermiller
Steven_Moore
Level VI

Dan and Lou,

Thanks for your help.  I was having difficult switching the method of data entry from the way I was doing with another software package.

Best regards,

Steven

Steve
louv
Staff (Retired)

Steven,

No problem....Thank you for being so open to share the data. It was an excellent opportunity to refresh my understanding of JMP for your application.

David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

I actually think the format of the summary data in Steven's Excel spreadsheet is not that unusual.  And I don't think it is always realistic to change the data entry format just to suit the idiosyncrasies of a particular analysis method.  Which leaves (imho) contingency analysis languishing in Fit Y By X as the poor cousin to Bivariate and Oneway.  It's tempting (especially for me) to write an add-in to deal with this problem, but it seems so basic and central to data analysis that JMP should deal with this.  We have very powerful tools such as STACK and SPLIT that allow common data structures to be reshaped for particular methods of analysis.  Is there not scope for a tool for reshaping of frequency-type data e.g. from Steve's format to DanO's ?

Dave

-Dave