cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Marco1
Level IV

Can JMP show the probability of 1 result or range through a graph?

Hello everyone!!!, a question:
What graph in JMP can answer the probabilities of obtaining a value or range of response, for example like the following graph.

Marco1_0-1699317866245.png

Greetings,

Marco

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
hogi
Level XI

Re: Can JMP show the probability of 1 result or range through a graph?

Then what you need is just a Local Data Filter - and a Filter Change Handler that updates the results in the probabilities panel.
The advantage: With the Data Filter it doesn't matter how many questions you will ask - just add as many selections as you want and the corresponding probabilities will show up automatically:

hogi_1-1699775586720.png

View more...
/*""" https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/Can-JMP-show-the-probability-of-1-result-or-range-through-a/m-p/697164/highlight/true#M88257

Author: hogi
Date: 2023-11-12

NB: back again at simple Data Filter

*/

Names Default To Here( 1 );

convertToList = Function( {myExpr},
	myHead = Head( Name Expr( myExpr ) );
	Substitute( Name Expr( myExpr ), Name Expr( myHead ), Expr( List() ) );
);

findArgs = Function( {myList, myHead},
	{NArgs, myArg},
	matches = {};
	NArgs = N Arg( myList );
	For Each( {i}, 1 :: NArgs,
		myArg = Arg( Name Expr( myList ), i );
		If( Head( Name Expr( myArg ) ) == Name Expr( myHead ),
			Insert Into( matches, convertToList( Name Expr( myArg ) ) )
		);
	);
	matches;
);

all Cols = Current Data Table() << get column references();
New Window( "probabilites",
	H List Box( Current Data Table() << data filter( Local,Title("Selection"), 	Show Controls( 0 ),
	Show Modes( 0 ),
	Show Counts( 0 ), Conditional( 0 ), columns( Name Expr( all Cols ) ) ), hlb = H List Box() )
);

ldf = ((Current Report()["Selection"]) << get scriptable object);

update = Function( {a},
	{ldflist,filterExpr,myCols,myFilters,lookupTable,myValue},
	ldflist = Convert To list( ldf << get script );
	filterExpr = findArgs( ldflist, Expr( AddFilter() ) );
	myCols = Transform Each({x},findArgs( Name Expr( filterExpr ), Expr( columns() )),x << get name) ;
	myFilters = findArgs( Name Expr( filterExpr ), Expr( Where() ) );

lookupTable = Associative Array( Transform Each( {x, i}, myFilters, Eval List( {If(Head(x)==Expr(And()),Arg( Arg(x,1), 1 )<< get name,  Arg(x,1)<< get name) , i} ) ) );

myBox = Outline Box( "probabilities" );
	For Each( {x}, myCols, 
		Try( myPos = Eval(substitute(Expr(lookupTable[_x_]),Expr(_x_),Name Expr(x)));
		Eval(
			Substitute(
					Expr(
						sel_rows = Current Data Table() << get rows where( _match_ );
						myValue = Char( Round( N Items(sel_rows)  / N rows(current data table()) * 100, 2 ) ) || "%";

),
				Expr( _match_ ), Name Expr( myFilters[myPos] ),
			)
		),
		myValue = "100%");

Insert Into( myBox, Panel Box( x, Text Box( myValue ) ) );
	);

Try(result << delete);
		hlb << append( result = myBox );
);

rs = ldf << make filter change handler( update );
(Current Report() << xpath("//FrameBox")) << Frame Size( 500, 50 );

View solution in original post

jthi
Super User

This code isn't good enough for me to turn it into an add-in (it would require at least one partial rewrite for me to consider it adequate), especially because I won't be updating it. If you wish to make it into an adding using Add-In Manager is the best option.

The script has been added as .zip file because it contains multiple files which must be in specific folders. After unpacking it

jthi_0-1699781259491.png

you should be able to open and run probability_calculator.jsl

jthi_1-1699781281860.png

jthi_2-1699781300545.png

-Jarmo

hogi
Level XI

Here is an alternative implementation which also allows "combined" filter conditions (A and B and C ...).

For this case it makes sense to enable the Conditional(1) setting - then additional filters will only show values that are within the range of the first filters.

In addition, one can create several filter "groups". Click on OR and a filter group N+1 is generated with the corresponding probability value. 

drawbacks:

• with the current version of Jmp, Conditional(1) and filter groups via OR are not compatible
    So, if you want to compare different selection groups, you have to do this without the Conditional(1) feature.
    here is a wish to fix this problem: data filters: more flexible use of the conditional flag 
  • The possibilities to adjust the graph are more restricted than in GraphBuilder:
    - selected values are indicated via the semitransparent blue region, which looks nice.
    On the other hand, it's not possible to switch "different colors for selected/unselected" 
    - the default number of bins in a data filter is 10, just giving a rough idea of the actual distribution.
    Number of Bins  can be adjusted via the red triangle menu:
    hogi_1-1699857190223.png

View more...
/*""" https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/Can-JMP-show-the-probability-of-1-result-or-range-through-a/m-p/697074/highlight/true#M88231

Topic: direct access to data filter selections via ldf << get where clause
Author: hogi
Date: 2023-11-12
*/

Names Default To Here( 1 );

convertToList = Function( {myExpr},{Nargs,myList},
	Nargs= N Arg(Name Expr(myExpr));
	myList={};
	For(i=1, i<=NArgs, i++,
	Insert Into(myList,Arg(Name Expr(myExpr),i))
	);
	return(Name Expr(myList))
);

New Window( "probabilites",
H list Box (
Current Data Table() << 
		data filter(
			Local,
			Title( "Selection" ),
			Show Controls( 1 ),
			Show Modes( 0 ),
			Conditional( 1 ),
			add Filter (columns(Column(1),Column(2)),Display( Column(1), NBins( 100 ) ),Display( Column(2), NBins( 100 ) ))
	),
	H List Box( Name Expr( myExpr ), hlb = H List Box() ));
);

update = Function( {a}, {myExpr,myselection},
// collect Selections from Local Data Filter - every OR is a group - kind of ...

ldf = Current Report()["Selection"] << get scriptable Object;
	myExpr = Parse( ldf << get where clause );
	myExpr=Arg( myExpr, 1 );
	mySelections = If( (Head( myExpr ) == Expr( Or() ) & Head( Arg(myExpr,1) ) != Expr( Equal() )),
		convertToList(Name Expr(myExpr)  ), // several filter groups
		Eval List({Name Expr(myExpr)}) // one filter group

);

// calculate the new values
	myBox = Outline Box( "probabilities" );
	For Each( {x, i}, mySelections,
		Eval(
			Substitute(
					Expr(
						sel_rows = Current Data Table() << get rows where( _match_ );
						myValue = Char( Round( N Items( sel_rows ) / N Rows( Current Data Table() ) * 100, 2 ) ) || "%";
					),
				Expr( _match_ ), Name Expr( x )
			)
		);
		Insert Into( myBox, Panel Box( "selection group # " || Char( i ), Text Box( myValue ) ) );
	);
// update the results
	Try( result << delete );
	hlb << append( result = myBox );
);

rs = ldf << make filter change handler( update );
(Current Report() << xpath( "//FrameBox" )) << Frame Size( 500, 50 ) << Fill Selection Mode( "Selected Same Color" );

hogi
Level XI

if certainty ~ probabilty,  the calculated values should be OK *)
community feedback appreciated

The probabilities are calculated with the formula - line 55:

N Items( sel_rows ) / N Rows( Current Data Table() ) * 100

*) one restriction:

excluded rows are not handled separately. So, if you have such rows, delete them. Or adjust the equation.

https://community.jmp.com/t5/JMP-Wish-List/Formula-Editor-meaningful-results-with-excluded-rows/idi-... 

57 REPLIES 57
dale_lehman
Level VII

I don't know any easy way to do exactly what your example shows, but you can of course construct it manually using the quantiles from the Distribution platform.  That platform also has an option to display the cdf, so that automatically shows the cumulative probabilities throughout the range.  You can also add reference lines at any particular value you are interested in, and select rows less than that value and that part of the histogram will be highlighted.  But beyond that I'm not aware of an automatic mechanism to produce your example.  Perhaps someone else does or perhaps someone can write a script to do that.

Do you want the empirical result or one based on a model? Which JMP plot do you want to augment with this capability?

Marco1
Level IV

Hello Mark,

I'm glad to greet you, JMP seems like a great software to me and I think someone can achieve it.

Regarding your question: Do you want the empirical result or one based on a model? Which JMP plot do you want to augment with this capability?

1. The simulation result could generate a bar graph for each objective with the option of entering a value and knowing its % probability or entering a range and knowing its % probability or entering a % probability and knowing the probable value or enter a probable % range and know the probable value range.
2. It should be based on a model, if possible in the Prediction Profiler

Greetings!

Marco

dale_lehman
Level VII

To some extent the profiler already does what you suggest.  If your Y variable is nominal, the profiler will show the estimated probability for whatever set of X variables you choose.  If you change the X variables, the estimated probability will adjust.  If you are looking for a display that automatically builds a table showing probabilities as functions of X or a histogram (such as you displayed) that has you enter a value and has the area adjust, I believe that either requires someone to script that or you might suggest that as a wish for further development.

Marco1
Level IV

Hi Dale,

I am happy to greet you, could you please show an example of your ingenious idea?

Greetings,

Marco

Victor_G
Super User

Hi @Marco1,

I think the Design Space Profiler may be helpful for what you intend to do. 
Based on Monte-Carlo simulations, and if you provide some specifications (Lower and/or Upper Specification Limits), the Design Space Profiler will calculate and display the in-spec rate, based on specific inputs ranges. 

Victor_G_0-1699450269851.png

You can look at an example here and see if it corresponds to your needs : Example of Design Space Profiler.

I hope this answer will help you,

Victor GUILLER
Scientific Expertise Engineer
L'Oréal - Data & Analytics
dale_lehman
Level VII

Victor

Interesting idea, but I'm not finding the Design Space Profiler.  I ran a Fit model with a nominal Y variable and one continuous X variable and there is only the Profiler option at the red arrow and the red arrow for the Profiler does not list Design Space Profiler as an option (not even grayed out).  Where do I find it?

Victor_G
Super User

The Design Space Profiler is only available for continuous responses :

Victor_G_0-1699458252386.png

As the original poster @Marco1 did not mention any nominal response, I thought the Design Space Profiler may be close to his expectations and goal :

What graph in JMP can answer the probabilities of obtaining a value or range of response

Best,

Victor GUILLER
Scientific Expertise Engineer
L'Oréal - Data & Analytics
Marco1
Level IV

Hello Victor,

I am happy to greet you, the alternative you show is an interesting way to solve the problem, I will review it. Thank you!

Greetings,

Marco