cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Jartun
Level I

Bi-plots with error bars for both axis

I would like to construct a bi-plot (double plot; two-way distribution), see example below. It would be a central point marking the mean for a given group, with error bars (standard deviation) for both parameters (both axis). I can't find a way to do this easily in jmp, and would appreciate some hints or suggestions. Thanks. Morten, Norway.

Jartun_0-1602488062056.png

2 REPLIES 2
ian_jmp
Staff

Re: Bi-plots with error bars for both axis

Please find attached a very old add-in (from 2006, actually). It's quite likely that there is a much better way now, but this might suffice.

Re: Bi-plots with error bars for both axis

Hi @Jartun ,

This can be done in Graph Builder in  JMP 15 (or JMP 14).

• Start with a summarize table with these columns: group, mean for x variable, std. dev for x-axis, mean for y variable, std. dev. for y-axis.  I used Big Class.jmp and tabulate to make the summarized table and then converted to a JMP Data Table.

Tabulate.jpg

• Drag  mean for x to x-axis (height) and mean for y to y-axis (weight)
  • Change the Error Interval (called Error Bars in JMP 14) to Two-way Interval

Capture.JPG

• Drag Std. Dev. for x-axis to interval box/zone on right.
  • Drag Std. Dev. for y-axis to same interval box/zone but just to the right of the x-axis std. dev. (see below picture)

Capture.JPG

• Add group to Color zone or use Rows>Color or Mark By Column menu function.  The final plot looks something like this:Graph Builder.jpg

Hope that is what you are looking for.

Best,

Chris Kirchberg, M.S.2
Data Scientist, Life Sciences - Global Technical Enablement
JMP Statistical Discovery, LLC. - Denver, CO
Tel: +1-919-531-9927 ▪ Mobile: +1-303-378-7419 ▪ E-mail: chris.kirchberg@jmp.com
www.jmp.com