cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Best statistical method for analyzing data set with a manufacturing change

Hello- I am working with the following data set. Column1 (#s 1-47) are lot numbers; Columns 2,3,4 are scientific results from an analysis. The rows highlighted represent a change that took place in our manufacturing process in which a new lot of a raw material was implemented. My goal is to understand if a change in the raw material lot has an impact on the analytical results. What statistical method(s) would you recommend to best deomnastrate this?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
statman
Super User

Re: Best statistical method for analyzing data set with a manufacturing change

I opened both your excel file (to see what rows you highlighted) and your JMP file.  They are not identical, so I used your excel file to create the appropriate JMP file.  I marked the rows you highlighted with an X.  If you open the file and click on the green arrows in the left hand zone of the file (labeled IR by lot and Multivariate).  These are 2 analysis of the data set.  I don't see any evidence the lot changes are unusual, although there are some other interesting points in the data set.

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box

View solution in original post

Victor_G
Super User

Hi @VariancePony864,

And welcome to the Community !
To add one graphical analysis suggestion based on the excellent comment by @statman, it could also be possible to use Model Driven Multivariate Control Charts (jmp.com), in order to have one chart taking into account your 4 (correlated) responses from your process.
This way, you could proceed with your analysis/inspection in two steps :

1. Take a look at the Multivariate Control Chart to see if there is any unusual pattern or points (in a synthetic and global/macro view),
  2. For these potential unusual data points, see what are the responses most contributing to the deviation (just put your mouse over a datapoint to see the repartition of this "deviation" by responses), and have a look at individual response with the control charts recommended by statman.

Attached you'll find the datatable created by statman with a new script added "PCA Model Driven Multivariate Control Chart".
Hope this answer will help you,  

Victor GUILLER
Scientific Expertise Engineer
L'Oréal - Data & Analytics

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
statman
Super User

Welcome to the community.  There are multiple ways today this (not sure what "best" means), but I prefer graphical using control charts.  It looks like you  attached an Excel file.  Could you attach a JMP file and we can help format it correctly?

sure thing, see attached, thank you!

statman
Super User

I opened both your excel file (to see what rows you highlighted) and your JMP file.  They are not identical, so I used your excel file to create the appropriate JMP file.  I marked the rows you highlighted with an X.  If you open the file and click on the green arrows in the left hand zone of the file (labeled IR by lot and Multivariate).  These are 2 analysis of the data set.  I don't see any evidence the lot changes are unusual, although there are some other interesting points in the data set.

Victor_G
Super User

Hi @VariancePony864,

And welcome to the Community !
To add one graphical analysis suggestion based on the excellent comment by @statman, it could also be possible to use Model Driven Multivariate Control Charts (jmp.com), in order to have one chart taking into account your 4 (correlated) responses from your process.
This way, you could proceed with your analysis/inspection in two steps :

1. Take a look at the Multivariate Control Chart to see if there is any unusual pattern or points (in a synthetic and global/macro view),
  2. For these potential unusual data points, see what are the responses most contributing to the deviation (just put your mouse over a datapoint to see the repartition of this "deviation" by responses), and have a look at individual response with the control charts recommended by statman.

Attached you'll find the datatable created by statman with a new script added "PCA Model Driven Multivariate Control Chart".
Hope this answer will help you,  

Victor GUILLER
Scientific Expertise Engineer
L'Oréal - Data & Analytics

Thank you both so much for your help! It is much apprecaited!