cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
emeritus
Level III

Bar charts for oneway

Seems like default graphic for oneway is dots.  How do I change that to bars?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Bar charts for oneway

Many platforms include display options under the red-triangle menu:

Untitled.png

Click on the triangle, and look to the bottom of the menu for the Display Options, which include box plots, mean error bars, and more:

Untitled2.png

I hope that helps!

emeritus
Level III

I did check there and did not see a bar chart option. Odd, because I would
think it is the most frequently used format
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

A bar chart is a very poor representation for a oneway analysis of variance (ANOVA): it does not display variance!

The typical view is a boxplot or a probability plot which display both mean and variability. These plots display data anomalies such as outliers, modality (clusters) and stong skews in the data.  In my opinion, and I believe most statisticians will agree, a bar chart is the least informative display for a Oneway analysis.  

Use GraphBuilder if you want bar graphs of the means of groups.

emeritus
Level III

Confidence bands can be displayed around means on a bar, at least in SPSS
txnelson
Super User

If you want your bar chart, you can get that in Graph Builder, and it can display the means and the error bars associated with them.

Jim
emeritus
Level III

Thanks

I did try that but found I was unable to suppress missing values from the
display
txnelson
Super User

Can you provide more details, and maybe even a sample data table.  The community may be able to help solve that issue if you can provide that.

Jim
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

GraphBuilder has an option to display categories, that is, when  an  X- group has all missing values.  That is an option trhat can be turned on or off from the red-inverted triangle menu.   I opened Big Class. JMP and deleted one value in column weight, hence a missing value.  I also randomly selected 2 row right clicked and selected, Exclude. 

• Drag :weight to the Y area
  • Right click in the graph, select Points > Change points to bars.
  • Add two Caption Box: one for Mean and one for Std Err or N or other summary statistics.  To make them bold right click in the graph and select Customize. Then  for each Text, select and chane the font to Bold.
  • Drag :age to the  X-Grouping Area.
  • Right click on the X-Group and select X Group Edge then select bottom.

You will see the graph below.  Now Journal the graph (CTRL + J). Missing does not appear, but messages about exclusions and type of error bar does appear, which I find informative.  If you want to remove that message, type S from the keyboard or from the menu click on the selection tool (the fat plus). Right click on the unwanted text and select Cut or Clear or Delete.

image.png

image.png

Note using Fit Y by X there are multiple views of the data. Below is one with X Axis proportional  ( to size, N).  That can be turned off as well.

This shows missing and exclusions.  Again, once journaled, you can select the text and remove it.

image.png