cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
dainius
Level II

Adding the user-defined error interval option to the graph builder

Is it possible to plot the mean and then add a summary statistics from Points-Summary Statistic as a separate error interval, which you define Yourself?

Because calculating mean and SD in different columns in JMP is very easy, but then adding them together and plotting them as a dot and error bars does not function. And this is frankly very annoying because this feature is present in many other statistical softwares :).

Hereby is my suggestion for further JMP development - make a 'USER DEFINED STATISTICS' as a possibility to add as an error bar (Error Interval).

Then one could calculate and define SD separately in a separate column from a biological triplicate - and so plot them together on top of each other in all possible conditions and variations, voila.

I could see this feature is lacking for some time already (from discussion trends), and all alternatives to solve this issue around are very clumsy and code-requiring.

Thank you

13 REPLIES 13
dainius
Level II

Re: Adding the user-defined error interval option to the graph builder

Dear Dan,

I could reproduce the plot - thank you. Is it also possible to draw a line in the middle, like I have shown? You could imagine it would be nice to know which intervals belong to which animal, especially if there are close to each other or even overlap.

Is there also another way (in principle) to do it, where the categories do not need to be nested? I have tried to plot it.

Because imagine if I have 200 deers and 200 cows besides each other, then the nested graph becomes quite wide you see :).

I usually have some measurement (size mass diameter) in triplicates, arranged in columns besides - exactly as in the animal example. How to plot the mean and SD graph of this without pain? The only way I see it in JMP is to calculate the Parameter_mean and Parameter_SD as two separate columns and then plot them on top of each other. Or am I wrong, maybe there is a more clever way?

Thanks,
D.

I am confused by the line. By default, you do have a line connecting the ends of the interval as shown (made easier to see by choosing one of the animals from the local data filter):

Capture.PNG

If you are wanting to change the color of the line, you can change the color of the entire error bar (along with other elements of the error bar), by right-clicking the graph and choosing Customize. 

I believe the nesting will be necessary because you are wanting to have each animal graphed separately. If you have 200 animals, you are going to need 200 error bars. Even your example is nesting, but you are making the nested variable much closer. JMP just provides the information on WHICH animal you are looking at, which is lost on your example. Further, your example is nice if the animals are quite different. But if they are very close in weight you may not see the intervals even be separated. Ultimately, the more levels/animals you have, the closer JMP will put them. If you double-click the axis you can see some items that you may wish to change to try to make them more legible.

Finally, if each measurement goes into a column, it is easy to get into the format that I used. You use the Tables > Stack Columns command. If you look at the Source script that was in my earlier post, you will see the exact command that was used from your example table. Reading the script should tell you how to fill out the interactive dialog box.

Dan Obermiller
dainius
Level II

Dear Dan,

Thank you. Now I have solved the line thing. When you add on the grid and the x axis and the SD line - and they are of the same width, the grid is put above the line so it disappears. To see it through the grid, the SD line needs to have a thickness of min 2, if the grid has a thickness of 1. 

Which, in my opinion, is not an optimal default line arrangement. Can it be changed?

I do see the same issue as you. I looked through all of the preferences, both in the Graph section and under Platforms > Graph Builder. I do not see an option to change the default width of the error bar. Perhaps someone else can find an option somewhere? It sounds like you should look at the JMP Wish List. If someone has already suggested this, vote for it. If this item is not there, you should add it.

Of course the "easy" answer is to turn off the grid for the x-axis as you can add dividers between the "animals". But this is not a very good answer in my opinion.

Dan Obermiller