cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
bwwhite
Level II

Adding an image from a data table to output

With a JSL script, I'm trying to construct a display that will show a small table of 4 rows and 2 columns. The rows in the first column of this table will be the names of 4 columns of the data table. The values in the 2nd column of my output will be pulled from the 4 columns of my data table, depending on selection criteria that I will program into the script. Along with the table, I want to display an image which is stored in another column of my data table. This column is formatted as an expression column. I know how to get images into the column, but how do I reference those images in a JSL script?

Thanks in advance!

Bruce

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Adding an image from a data table to output

From my first response,  @pmroz and @Craige_Hales responses, you can see that there are numerous JMP options for creating displays. What you script depends upon what characteristics you want for the final "report".

• Will the person viewing the report be using JMP to open a Journal, a table, a .jrp file, an application? Do you want dynamic controls like a next button, or selection boxes, or just a long display with simple scrolling? 
  • Or will the person viewing not use JMP and they will be using a webpage, a PPT file, a PDF or WORD doc? 

When I have a large number of displays (>20) and the consumer of the report will not be using JMP, I create a custom PPTX report or create a web report with a list and a dynamic selector of names to display the picture (which requires a little html scripting).  When the consumer will be using JMP, I use dynamic controls with buttons and pic lists or trees.

Attached is another script  (TableBoxwithPics.jsl) that creates of a JMP report that can be journaled or saved in an alternate static output.

image.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

You did not mention what type of container you will be using. If a Window with a table, JMP 14 has a column property called an Event Handler. Also there was an interesting discussion regarding hyperlinks in a Text Box Hyperlinks-in-Text-Box.

I attached a script with and example of a table with a picture and an Event Handler. The blog would not allow me to add a file with extension .jsl, so I added a .txt.  Download the  file and drop the .txt extension to open in JMP.

The JMP sample datatable SAS Offices.jmp provides another example of an Event Handler for a data table.

bwwhite
Level II

I have my images in a JMP data table using a script similar to the one you attached. However, now I want to output the images into some type of JMP report. I'm not sure what kind of container would I use? If I just wanted a simple table with the name of the image and the image itself, how would that script segment look?

Thanks again!

Bruce

pmroz
Super User

Check out Justin's and my presentation at the latest Discovery conference in Cary.  One of the scripts shows how to display an image stored in a table cell.

Craige_Hales
Super User

dt = Open( "$sample_data/big class families.jmp" );
New Window( "people", 
	vlistbox(
	picholder = Border Box( Text Box( "" ) ), 
	namebox = textbox(""),
	Button Box( "next", advance() )
	)
);
curRow = 0;
advance = Function( {},
	{},
	curRow += 1;
	If( curRow > N Rows( dt ),
		curRow = 1
	);
	(picholder << child) << delete;
	picholder << append( dt:picture[curRow] );
	namebox<<settext(dt:name[curRow]);
);
advance(); // initialize first image in window

Window with picture from data tableWindow with picture from data table

Craige
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

From my first response,  @pmroz and @Craige_Hales responses, you can see that there are numerous JMP options for creating displays. What you script depends upon what characteristics you want for the final "report".

• Will the person viewing the report be using JMP to open a Journal, a table, a .jrp file, an application? Do you want dynamic controls like a next button, or selection boxes, or just a long display with simple scrolling? 
  • Or will the person viewing not use JMP and they will be using a webpage, a PPT file, a PDF or WORD doc? 

When I have a large number of displays (>20) and the consumer of the report will not be using JMP, I create a custom PPTX report or create a web report with a list and a dynamic selector of names to display the picture (which requires a little html scripting).  When the consumer will be using JMP, I use dynamic controls with buttons and pic lists or trees.

Attached is another script  (TableBoxwithPics.jsl) that creates of a JMP report that can be journaled or saved in an alternate static output.

image.png

bwwhite
Level II

Thanks to all the replies I got to this post. Each reply helped me learn more about JMP and about how to get to my final solution. I had to choose one to accept as the solution and it was the one that most directly resembles my final result.

Bruce