cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
StevenChan
Level II

About Tables "Transpose" function

Dear Sirs

I have question about the function for “ Transpose”.

I would like the same action as excel easily..Table1->Table2.

But JMP Transpose not allow different data type transfer at same time…so I need to modify items one by one (Num.  Char.)

Once I need modify over hundreds of them, it takes long time.

Question1: How to transpose data without modify data type?

Question2: How to change data type synchronize?

Untitled.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: About Tables "Transpose" function

I am assuming your need to transpose the data, is in order to either directly display it in that order, or else to move the data back into excel.  So based upon that, it is really a fairly simple task to transpose your data.

1. Go to your data table, and in the Column Panel, select all of the columns you are going to tranpose                                                                                             trans1.PNG
  2. In the Columns Panel, click on the red triangle, and select "Standardize Attributes"trans2.PNG
  3.  In the Standardize Columns Attributes dialog box, click on the Attributes down arrow and select "Data Type".  Make sure the Data Type is set to Character, and then click OK  All selected columns are now character columns
  4.  Go to    Tables==>Transpose   and place all of the columns to be transposed into the transpose selection box.  Make sure to remove any default value from the Label selection box.trans4.PNG
  5. Your data will now be transposed as you wanted ittrans5.PNG
Jim

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
txnelson
Super User

I am assuming your need to transpose the data, is in order to either directly display it in that order, or else to move the data back into excel.  So based upon that, it is really a fairly simple task to transpose your data.

1. Go to your data table, and in the Column Panel, select all of the columns you are going to tranpose                                                                                             trans1.PNG
  2. In the Columns Panel, click on the red triangle, and select "Standardize Attributes"trans2.PNG
  3.  In the Standardize Columns Attributes dialog box, click on the Attributes down arrow and select "Data Type".  Make sure the Data Type is set to Character, and then click OK  All selected columns are now character columns
  4.  Go to    Tables==>Transpose   and place all of the columns to be transposed into the transpose selection box.  Make sure to remove any default value from the Label selection box.trans4.PNG
  5. Your data will now be transposed as you wanted ittrans5.PNG
Jim
StevenChan
Level II

Dear TXNELSON

Many Thanks

You answer me the question by Step3. Change all data type to Character.

In the Standardize Columns Attributes dialog box, click on the Attributes down arrow and select "Data Type".  Make sure the Data Type is set to Character, and then click OK  All selected columns are now character columns

StevenChan
Level II

Dear TXNELSON

One more question,

Can this action saved as script?

In the Standardize Columns Attributes dialog box, click on the Attributes down arrow and select "Data Type".  Make sure the Data Type is set to Character, and then click OK  All selected columns are now character columns

Thierry_S
Super User

Hi,

You may want to read the discussion by Mark Bailey (LINK) about the differences between JMP and Excel. Indeed, the data structure used by JMP makes your transposition rather incongruous (i.e. your resulting table cannot be used in any analysis provided in JMP).

Hence the question might be about the ultimate goal of your transposition: is it for display purpose, is it used as an input by another program, or is it to conduct a specific operation within JMP?

Let us know what you are trying to achieve and the JMP community might be able to help.

Best,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse