cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Ryan_Gilmore
Community Manager Community Manager

Hot or Cold

I recently finished listening to a Revisionist History podcast by Malcom Gladwell titled Laundry Done Right . In the episode, it was mentioned that the best thing you can do for the environment is to wash your clothes in cold water.

We switched to cold water a few years ago based on the recommendation of a repair man.

What water temperature do the rest of you use?

6 REPLIES 6
Michael_MXAK
Level IV

Re: Hot or Cold

Cold! But then, I do work for one of the major producers of the enzymes that make cold-water washes possible Fighting Climate Change, One Laundry Load at a Time - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Ryan_Gilmore
Community Manager Community Manager

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Hi @Michael_MXAK, what a fascinating initiative! Is this something you personally are involved in? And/or do you happen to know whether anyone at Novozymes is using JMP in the development of this new enzyme? Would love to hear more!

Michael_MXAK
Level IV

Hey, @Meg_Hermes, I'm not personally in our Household Care area, but lots and lots of Novozymes employees (Zymers, as we call ourselves) are! I think @NARE might be able to give you more information, or point you in the right direction. I know we have several advanced enzyme products for laundry blended into commercial on-the-shelf laundry detergents. Here's an article from last year about a cold-water detergent enzyme we worked on, for instance Seaweed, slime and socks: The science behind the suds (phys.org)

Thanks, Michael! 

@NARE Let me know if you're up for chatting a bit about Novozymes' efforts in this area. I run our customer story initiative as well as an 'analytics advocate' blog and we're always looking to elevate stories related to environmental innovations. 

Always cold!

Read the JMP Blog: jmp.com/blog