Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Enrich Databases With Useful Information (2023-EU-30MP-1306)

JSL can be used to make GUIs to access data in measurement systems with pre-programmed scripts, such as for SPC. For this to work, JMP® must remember the control limits from the status quo when new data arrives. A second JSL script is needed to connect to a DB and load existing limits for variables if they are present. Control limits can be altered/added manually and updated in the data table or automated with default values and a factor for multiple variables. When others pull the data again from the DB, the control limits are automatically added to the column parameter and go into the SPC. This presentation will provide a live demo and JSL example of how to insert and update data in a DB.

Hello,  my  name  is  Mauro Gerber.  I  work  as  a  data  scientist  for  Huber and Suhner  in  Switzerland.  I  would  like  to  introduce  you  to  the  problem  we  had  regarding  SPC  and  I  would  like  to  have  you  on  the  right.   I  want  to  talk  about  SPC  scripting  and why  it's  important  to  write  the  information  back  into  a  database.  W hat  we  have  is  an  optical  measurement  system  that  measures  dimensions  on  parts  that  we  store  in  a  database.  The  goal  was  now  to  get  the  data  back  out  of  it  and  to  statistical  process  control  on  it.  Now  what  happened  was  that  over  time  some  variables  can  shift  and  the  worst  case  would  be  that  we  get  the  out  of  spec  and  then  we  have  to  do  some  measurements  to  get  it  back  in.  It  would  be  preferable  if  we  can  do  that  beforehand.

The  idea  of  SPC  is  like  telling  a  dog  to  stay  where  it  is.  W e  achieve  this  by  redefine  a  stable  face  and  say  if  the  process  moves  out  of  that  window,  it  gives  a  notification  before  it  gets  an  out  of  spec  and  we  can  take  measurements  to  get  back  into  stable  again.  O ne  way  to  achieve  this  is  by  the  process  screen  platform.  We  can  sort  about  this  control  chart  alarms  which  gives  us  how  many  of  the  variables  violate  the  test  one.  Test  one  is  simply  out  of  control  limits.  As  you  can  see,  the  most  alarms  I  get  from  the  most  stable  process.  T his  is  a  bit  paradox.  As  you  can  see  here,  I  have  a  very  stable  process  and  the  SPC  limits  that  gets  calculated  automatically  gives  me  very  much  false  positives.  ` I  shouldn't  react  on  this  because  it's  just  within  the  variation.

The  second  problem  with  it  is  if  I  have  an  order  and  analyze  the  samples,  it  calculates  the  control  limits  for  me.  Like  in  this  examples,  it  says  it's  all  good. I f  I  later  on  analyze  a  second  order,  the  calculation  of  the  limits  automatically  switches  to  the  new  process  variations.  I t  makes  the  window  bigger  and  again  says,  hey,  everything  is  okay  until  we  see  of  course  that  it  moved  and  the  variation  got  bigger.  W hat  I  did  making  an  SPC  script  that  deals  with  the  measurement  and  loads  and  stores  SPC  limit  in  the  database  so  we  can  have  a  proper  working  SPC.

I  would  like  to  switch  to  demonstration  of  how  this  looks  in  our  database.  W hat  we  have  is  a  script  that  imports  the  data.  What  does  is it  goes  into  the  database  and  search  the whole  product  order  we  have  stored  for  this  demo.  I  made  a  special  data set  and  it  automatically   contains this program.  For  us  is  like  article  or  part.  W e  can  select   like PO1  that  the  first  one  we  did  in  our  example,  I  can  say  okay,  I  want  to  have  a  look  at  that  data  and  at  the  back  and  this  is  the final  result.  A s  you  can  see  here, after  [inaudible 00:04:23] and SPC.  In  our  example,  this  is  what  happened.  I  have  a  stable  process,  everything  is  good.  Look  at  all  processes.  This  is  where  the  error  came  from.

Again  I  can  show  you  the  SPC.  Y ou  see  here, in the  beginning  the  process  was  okay.  Then  there  was  a  phase  from  where  the  variation  got  bigger  and  then  it  got  back  again.  T his   X1  got  a  problem.  The  problem  was   X2.  As  you  can  see  here,  I  got  some  parts  out  of  spec.  This,  I  would  like  to  change  now.

A s  we  discussed  earlier,  what  we  need  to  do  is  go  to  the  first  PO  and  set  this  table  one  I  want  to  go  back  to  and  I  make  now  run  the  script  that  goes  over  the  table  that  is  active  and  extract  every  line  with  spec  limit.   I  see  here,  this  is  the  spec  limits  and  you  can  see  here  empty  control  limits.  W hat  I  can  do  now  is  two  ways.  I  can  either  activate  this  PC  here,  have  a  look  at  the  data  and  say  zoom  in  a  bit  and  say  manually  on   X2 lower  control  may  need  2.98  and  3.02  and  down.  Tell  the  program  hey,  please  update  the  limits  for  me  and  I  go  back  to-- No  this  was   wrong ,  sorry.

2.97  and  3.01,  update. T he  limits  I  just  set  are  now  in  the  control  limits  which  I  can  check  in   X2 it  added  the  control  limits  for  myself.  The  problem  is  now  if  I  close  the  table  and  read  download  the  data,  these  control  limits  are  lost.  W hat  I  can  do  now  is  save  it,  close  all,  reload  the  data  and  the  script  now  looks  if  there  are  control  limits  present  for   X2 and  I  did  none  for   X1  and  if  I  go  here  now  SPC   X2,  the  control  limits  are  now  set  as  desired.  If  I  have  a  lot  of  control  limits  present  in  my  data  set,  like  20  or  so,  it  could  be  quite  difficult  to  set  the  limit  manually  for  everyone.  This  is  where  I  made  the  script  that  you  can  actually  select  the  desired  variables  you  want  set  default.

A s  I  showed  you  earlier,  if  I  would  set  it  to  one,  it  would  copy  the  automatic  calculated  limits  from  the  system  which  can  be  too  tight.  T his  case  I  say  okay,  I  want  the  margin  twice  as  big.  Now  it  runs  through  every  row  and  sets  automatic  the  limit.  I  save  the  limits  to  the  database  and  if  I  run  the  limits  again,  you  can  see  it's  centered  and  it  has  a  nice  window  around  them  quite  easily.   I  can  manage  limits  for  a  lot  of  variables.

If  I  go  now  to the  problem  we  had.  I  now  select  all  of  them,  run  the  script  again  and  run  it  again.  Now  it  takes  over  the  limits  I  set  earlier.  A s  you  can  see  here,  I  would  get  warnings  earlier  on  that  something  is  wrong  and  then  we  could  have  prevented  this  from  happening.  A s  you  see  here  with  some  countermeasures  and  now  we  are  back  again  into  the  stable  phase.

What  I  use  in  the  script  is  I  search  with  spec  limits  to  identify  which  one  are  variables  to  work  with.  This  can  also  solve  problems  with  platforms  who  depend  on spec  limits.  I  can  filter  them  and  only  make  limits  or  control  limits  for  SPC  or  spec  limits  for  the  process  capability  platform.   I  don't  get  an  error  message  that  control  limits  are  missing.

What  is  important  is  of  course  safety.  Habit  of  jump  is  that  the  source  is  in  the  file.  W hatever  password  or  database  connection  you  use  gets  stored  into  the  table.  This  of  course,  can  reveal  server  name  or  even  username  and  password.  To  get  around  this  there's  a  preference  ODBC Hide  Connection  String.  What  you  also  can  do  is  in  the  script  itself,  encrypt  the  code  with  password  and  username.  You  see  in  here,  so  people  are  unable  to  read  it.

When  I  write  into  the  database,  I  use  the  code  create  database  connection.  I  set  the  reference  and  then  there  is  SQL  statement  I  put  together  from  insert  into  which  database  name  it  is.  Then  what  I  write  that's  from  the  list  I  generate  program  names,  empathize  and  the  control  limits. Th en  execute  these  SQL  statements  from  the  connection  string  and  the  SQL  string.  What's  important  is  that  when  the  log  is  longer  so  I  get  an  error  message  from  the  SQL,  it  beeps  me  and  put  it  in  the  log.  W hen  something  is  working  wrong,  I  can  check  it  like  credentials  are  wrong  or  the  connection  could  build  up  or  whatever  it's  possible.

Then  I  write  the  control  limits  into  the  data  table.   I  check  for  the  name  of  the  article  and  if  there  are  SPC  limits  present,  if  they  are,  I  update  the  column  properties  with  the  control  limits  which  then  get  automatically  displayed  in  the  SPC  and  the  program  handles  accordingly.

Second  use  for  writing  something  back  is  if  we  have  a  measurement  we  make  a  test  with  it  like  environmental  test  or  endurance  test  and  make  a  second  measurement.  I  have  the  same  part  with  two  measurements  or  I  have  a  false  measurement  like  something  went  wrong.  I  retake  the  measurements  and  the  second  measurement  is  actually  what  counts. T his  I  can  navigate  by  a  small  script  that  says  update  DB.  I  can  give  me  a  dialogue  if  I  want  to  set  the  measurements  inactive  or  update  it.  If  I  want  to  update  it,  I  can  type  which  label  I  want  and  what's  the  name  of  it.  It  works  similar  as  the  function  name  selection  in  column.  What  it  does  is  for  each  measurement  I  get  a  unique  ID,  even  if  the  part  itself  has  a  serial  number.   I  have  the  serial  number  measured  twice  after  zero  hour,  after  100  hours  from  test  option  one.  I t  got  different  measurement  IDs.  This  is  how  I  differentiate  between  the  measurements.

For  the  inactive  part,  that's  simply  that  in  the  SQL  statement  I  can  say  if  the  measurement  were  inactive  disregarded  so  these  faulty  measurements  don't  show  up.  K ey  points  is  careful  that  you  may  not  give  out  some  sensitive  information  like  password  usernames.  You  can  hide  certain  parts  in  the  script  with  encryption  the  code  is  JSL  Encrypted  and  then  the  encrypted  code,  is  in  here  as  a  text.  U se  pref  ODBC  Hide  Connection  String.  A nother  way  is  use  windows  authentication  to  avoid  credentials  altogether.  This  also  can  help  that  you  can  use  specific  columns  that  are  writable  like  the  label one, label  two  column  and  to  avoid  manipulations.

We  have  to  policy  a  user  can  set  a  measurement  inactive  but  he  cannot  delete  it.  I f  we  will  search  to  the  database,  we  can  restore  all  the  data  if  something  went  wrong.  Another  good  practice  is  check  that  the  data  is  actually  written  into  the  database  like  a  handshake  and  enrich  the  data  with  important  information  that  can  be  handy  for  user  years  later.  Because  they  may   don't  have  the  information w hy  you  took  tree  measurement  of  the  same  part  and  maybe  wondering  why  it's  getting  worse  and  in  that  all  have  the  same  information  to  work  with.  I  can  straight  this  little  future  view.  I  can  go  back  in  here  for  the  demo.

Usually  when  we  have  press  builder  make  it  row  there  in  the  string  second  two.  What  I  do  is  select  those  parts  row,  name  selection  in  column  and  that  would  give  me  a  column  which  I  then  can  save.  I f  I  reload  the  data,  this  information  is  lost.  What  I  can  do  now  is  this  feature  update  database.  I  can  update  it,  I  can  say,  hey,  label  one,  this  is  stable.  Y ou  can  see  here,  label  one  is  now  marked  as  stable.

I  can  go  and  say  okay,  these  measurements update  I  want  to  leave  on  stable,  close  it  and  I  simply  put  the  data  from  the  database  and  as  you  can  see  the  stable,  unstable  faces  are  stored.  I f  someone  later  makes  it,  then  they  can  bow  conclusion  from  the  phases  here  is  missing.  This  is  the  stable  face,  this  is  un stable  face  and  the  same goes  with  data.  I  can  select  some  object  inactive.  It  will  warn  me  if  I  want  those  trees  inactive a nd  the  next  time  I  would  call  the  function  they  wouldn't  show  up.  If  I  want  to  have  them  back,  I  can  select  here  include  arrow  meshes  that  those  measures  come  back  again.  T his  suits  my  script.  I  will  thank  you  for  listening  and  if  you  have  further  questions  I  will  be   [inaudible 00:19:42]  later  on.  Thank  you  very  much.