cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Registration open for Discovery Summit Europe. User Group Members benefit from a 25% discount with the code: DSEUgroup24
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
mraughley
Level II

First Western Pennsylvania JMP Users Group Meeting Summary and Opening discussion for next meeting

Hi all,

Thanks to JMP, Jerry, and Tim for supplying Panera Bread and showing us some of what is coming in JMP 14 next spring!

Based on who was present and some of the discussion. Topics for future meetings (no particular order) include: DOE, Data Analytics, JSL/scripting, Data mining, and sending out a "dataset" to have the group analyze/discuss it during the meeting. Did I miss any topics of interest? What is the order that we should do the topics, or what are the more popular topics?

No date was suggested for the next meeting, so keeping with a quarterly meeting mindset here are a few dates for the first quarter that I am suggesting:

January 22nd, Monday

February 7th, Wednesday

March 15th, Thursday

I know that HarbisonWalker International is delighted to host and to my knowledge January 23rd is the only unavailable date for the next few months.

These are only suggestions, but hopefully this will keep the momentum going.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
sartori1
Level II

Re: First Western Pennsylvania JMP Users Group Meeting Summary and Opening discussion for next meeti

Thanks for hosting - you have a first class training room there!

Maybe mid-March would be best in terms of reducing the risk of a weather related problem, although there are no gurantees in March either!

Thanks again and best regards,

Dave

Dave Sartori

View solution in original post

timpike
Level I

Re: First Western Pennsylvania JMP Users Group Meeting Summary and Opening discussion for next meeti

Hi All,

Very disappointed to miss the kick off meeting, but I wanted to add a topic to list for the future meetings: Building dashboards and applications.

Thanks and I look forward to seeing everyone at the next meeting.

Sincerely,

Tim

Maggie,

Thanks for asking. For this Thursday, I would appreciate as early a meeting as others can support, e.g., 8 or 9AM. I normally start work by 7AM, but I don't think others would appreciate that early :). I have previous experience with Minitab and Weibull ++ and plenty of statistics experience, but my experience with JMP is very basic, so any information from others is greatly appreciated.

Best,

Paul

33 REPLIES 33
sartori1
Level II

Thanks for hosting - you have a first class training room there!

Maybe mid-March would be best in terms of reducing the risk of a weather related problem, although there are no gurantees in March either!

Thanks again and best regards,

Dave

Dave Sartori
timpike
Level I

Hi All,

Very disappointed to miss the kick off meeting, but I wanted to add a topic to list for the future meetings: Building dashboards and applications.

Thanks and I look forward to seeing everyone at the next meeting.

Sincerely,

Tim

mraughley
Level II

All,

Seeing as the first suggested meeting date is next week and there has been quite a bit of snow I agree with the suggestion of having the meeting in March. Does March 15th work? Is there another date that works better?

Would someone be willing to lead a talk about building dashboards and applications? Or maybe any of the other topics suggested DOE, Data Analytics, JSL/scripting, or Data mining?

-Maggie

JerryFish
Staff

Hi All--

Unfortunately I can't do March 15-- Unavoidable travel plans.

That isn't to say that we should reschedule-- the rest of the group is perfectly capable of putting together a meeting on your own!  And I would be glad to help if I can... just not in person on that particular date.

Apologies!

Jerry

Thanks for letting us know Jerry! I'll just add-on to what you said- please let me know too if you need additional help from JMP to proceed. Thanks!

Hi,

Is there still going to be a JMP meeting this Thursday morning 15 March? If so, what is the meeting time at Harbison Walker? I live in Pittsburgh but work in Cranberry.

Best,

Paul

mraughley
Level II

We can still meet this Thursday, but I have not heard that anyone has anything prepared or whether people wanted to meet this Thursday.

Is there a specific time that works for you, since you brought it up last time we met from 11:30am to 2pm? The room is available anytime. Why not make it an informal meeting where the people available bring any questions or comments that they have and we can discuss it as a group.

And if only two or three people show up with no questions or comments then we can work through the JMP Start Statistics book and plan the next meeting.

Any thoughts or comments?

Sincerely,

Maggie

Maggie,

Thanks for asking. For this Thursday, I would appreciate as early a meeting as others can support, e.g., 8 or 9AM. I normally start work by 7AM, but I don't think others would appreciate that early :). I have previous experience with Minitab and Weibull ++ and plenty of statistics experience, but my experience with JMP is very basic, so any information from others is greatly appreciated.

Best,

Paul

timpike
Level I

Second Western Pennsylvania JMP Users Group Meeting!

Dear All,
Thursday looks good for me to attend - I missed the first meeting and am very interested in participating in the User's Group.
Sincerely,
Tim Pike
Brad_Novic
Visitor

Re: Second Western Pennsylvania JMP Users Group Meeting!

It didn't look like this was going to happen and I've now got other meetings planned. Unfortunately, JMP folks are also unavailable. I'd be happy to talk about some data mining topics at a future meeting.

Best,

Brad Novic

PhaseTwo Analytics LLC

Thanks Brad. Sorry it didn't work out. I know Jerry Fish had vacation scheduled for this time period, but maybe the group could come up with future meeting date options?
Also, JMP will be back in the area on May 1st for a "What's New in JMP 14" event (at the same location in Sewickley as last time). I'm not sure if you would want to schedule a user group meeting at the same time or not, but I know both myself and Jerry will be there in May. https://www.jmp.com/en_us/events/jmp-roadshow/01may2018-pa.html
Thanks!
mraughley
Level II

Sorry for the lack of communication Brad. If there are any days that are not doable in the furture, or if there are some definite days that will work let us know and we will talk about it this coming meeting.

-Maggie Raughley

mraughley
Level II

I start work at 7am as well; however, I agree that a later start might be more appreciated. I am not an expert on traffic, but getting to West Mifflin from Pittsburgh at 8am might be a pain. Let's plan to start at 9:30, since it is informal it will probably be less than two hours, but I'll schedule the room from 9:30-11:30 just to be safe.

So, Robin if it is allowed would you mind sending an email that a open discussion meeting for the First Western Pennslyvania JMP User Group will take place 9:30-11:30am at HWI's ATRC, 1001 Pittsburgh-McKeesport Blvd, West Mifflin PA, 15122?

And any suggestions for schedules and topics for future meetings will be discussed. The next meeting will probably be after the JMP event on May 1st.

Sincerely,

Maggie

Hi Maggie,

JMP could send out an e-mail to JMP users in your area, but unfortunately we would need advance notice (like a month or two). So it wouldn't reach your group in time. The reason for the advance notice is SAS limits the amount of mass e-mails sent out (so we aren't spamming our users) and that means there are only so many slots on the e-mail calendar. We'd have to go about 6 to 8  weeks to find an open slot. (The system works great for planned events, but it doesn't give us the flexibility for short notice mailings I'm afraid.)