cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Craige_Hales
Super User
PDF Import in JMP 15

@DaveB Just tried JMP 15's PDF import. Works great! Here's an image of the PDF page that contains some parameters for the GPS satellite orbits: ( 1.6MB PDF )

Page 17 has a table of four columns and 24 rowsPage 17 has a table of four columns and 24 rows

JMP 15's Open has a PDF setting to import that data; I recommend downloading the PDF rather than importing from http://, but that works too.

File->Open Dialog's PDF filterFile->Open Dialog's PDF filter

Next,

Too many tables found, easier to clear them all and pick the interesting one.Too many tables found, easier to clear them all and pick the interesting one.

After clearing,

Use the zoom slider to make the page numbers legible, then right-click to scan for tables on this pageUse the zoom slider to make the page numbers legible, then right-click to scan for tables on this page

Check the table in the preview and then OK.

Preview looks great. The blank rows are also in the PDF as spacers.Preview looks great. The blank rows are also in the PDF as spacers.

The page difference of 10 is because the PDF contains 10 of those roman numeral pages before the actual page numbering begins. You can get a script from the imported table's source script:

Open( // https://www.gps.gov/technical/ps/2008-SPS-performance-standard.pdf
	"F:\gpsd\2008-SPS-performance-standard.pdf",
	PDF Tables(
		Table(
			table name( "Slot Assignments" ), // edit for best name
			// the GUI produced this:
			add rows( page( 27 ), Rect( 1.7258, 3.8679, 6.7392, 8.8758 ) )
		)
	)
)

Pretty nifty GUI behind this import tool; try clicking the tables on the left to see the corresponding import on the right, try selecting a rectangle on the left, try right-click to specify number of header lines.

Last Modified: Oct 22, 2019 1:41 PM
Comments
WLePage
Level I

@Craige_Hales This is great.  Thank you.  I have ~60 PDFs that I'd like to import the same data from.  Is there a way to save the import settings in the import wizard so that I don't have to manually select the tables I want in each file?  Thanks!

Craige_Hales
Super User

Thanks! I'm pretty sure JMP 15 only supports JSON and XML scripts in the MFI dialog. This seems like a good Wish List item. @DaveB 

edit: re-reading: there is a source script in the imported table that you can copy and modify to import each additional table. That could be done in a JSL loop.