cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
stan_koprowski
Community Manager Community Manager
Single Sampling by Attributes

Single attributes sampling plans or MIL-STD-105E are used when the inspections can only be classified as two outcomes.  One can think of this type of plan as go / no-go or in specification versus out of specification.  Widely used because all one needs to do is count the number of defects found in the sample or by evaluating the proportion defectives in a process.  If large lots are used then the binomial distribution is used.  Whereas, the hypergeometric distribution is used when the defects arise from a single lot.  When plotting the probability of acceptance against the proportion defective in the lot inspected two curves are possible, Type A and Type B.   With Type A, the curve represents the probability that a lot will be accepted against the proportion defective in the lot, where as, with Type B, the curve plots the proportion of lots that will be accepted versus the proportion defective in the producer's process.

The process is to take a random sample of size n from a lot of size N.  If the sample is intended to be the lot itself it is considered Type A sampling or Type B sampling when the process is used to produce the lot.  

Procedure for Single Attributes SamplingProcedure for Single Attributes Sampling

I will show how to generate a single sampling plan by attributes using the two point approach.  With the two point sampling plan approach one uses ( p1, α ) and ( p2, β ) for the points.  Where by, p1 is known as the Acceptable Quality Limit or AQL, p2 is the Rejectable Quality Limit or RQL, α is the producer's risk and β is the consumer's risk.  With the JMP sampling plan add-in one can use either a binomial distribution (Type B) or a hypergeometric distribution ( Type A).

Launch the add-in by selecting JMP Sampling Plans from the Add-Ins menu.  Select Attributes-->Single.

Single Attributes Sampling PlanSingle Attributes Sampling Plan 

You are now presented with three (3) options for lot acceptance sampling plans.

• Evaluate Attributes Plan
  • Generate or Create Attributes Plan
  • Compare Attributes Plans

I will use the option to generate an attributes sampling plan using the two point method.

Generate Single Attributes Sampling PlanGenerate Single Attributes Sampling Plan

Clicking ok will bring up a dialog to enter the AQL, RQL, α and β, as well as, selecting an option for Type A or Type B analyses when specifying a lot size.  Units of Measure will allow one to change the options for p from Proportion Defective, Percent Defective or Defectives Per Million via a drop down menu.  When specifying a plan, the primary consideration is the protections provided to both the producer and the consumer.  

Enter the following values into the dialog:

AQL = 0.018

RQL = 0.18

Probability of Accepting Lot at AQL (1- α ) = 0.95

Probability of Accepting Lot at RQL ( β ) = 0.10

Notice the Lot Size is optional.  If no Lot Size is specified performance graphs will not be displayed.

Specifying two points for single attribute sampling planSpecifying two points for single attribute sampling plan

The JMP Sampling Plan report is produced with details regarding the plan that was created.  Let's walk through each outline box to review the contents of the output.

Expanding the first outline node displays the parameters specified to generate the plan.  

Detail Report for Single Attribute Sampling PlanDetail Report for Single Attribute Sampling Plan

Additionally, the plan created is sample size (n) = 28 and acceptance number ( c ) of 2.  If the number of defectives or non-conforming items in the 28 sample is <=2 you would accept the lot.  One would reject the lot if the number of non-conforming items is > 2.   With this plan and a lot containing 1.8% non-conforming items would only be rejected 1.37% of the time, where as, a lot containing 18% non-conforming items will be accepted 9.795 of the time.

Viewing output from the second outline node displays the Operating Characteristic Curves ( OC ).  The OC curves are used to evaluate the insurance offered to both the consumer and producer by the plan. Two OC curves are displayed. The curve on the left is shown using the specified quality levels ( AQL = 0.018 and RQL =0.18) and the associated (calculated) probabilities of acceptance. Where as, the OC curve on the right is shown using the specified probabilities of acceptance ( Pa@AQL = 0.95 and Pa@RQL = 0.1 ) and the calculated quality levels.

Operating Characteristic CurvesOperating Characteristic Curves

Expanding or viewing the last outline node shows a tabular summary of the created plan.  The output is displayed showing the desired quality.

The table is color coded to indicate an increase or decrease in associated probabilities of acceptance at both the specified AQL and RQL levels.  Better performance than requested for the probability of acceptance at the AQL ( 0.98635 > 0.95) with the blue font and the upward arrow or 0.097937 < 0.1 and the downward arrow at the RQL and same blue font provide quick visuals of the calculated probabilities of acceptance and whether or not they are better or worse from those requested.  Similarly, the Associated Quality Level for each specified probability of acceptance is shown.  An increase in Associated Quality Level at the AQL (0.029800 > 0.018000 ) denoted by the upward arrow and red font color indicates worse quality than specified. Looking at the Associated Quality Level at the RQL ( 0.17910 < 0.18000 ) shows better than expected results as noted with the downward arrow and blue font.  

Tabular Plan SummaryTabular Plan Summary

Now, lets re-run the analysis but this time we will provide a lot size of 10,000. From the red-triangle menu option under the Operating Characteristic Curves select Relaunch Analysis.  This will bring up the analysis with the options populated with our previous entries as our starting point.  Change the selection from Continuous Sampling Type B (binomial) to Lot Sampling--Type A (hypergeometric) and click OK to continue.

Notice under the Plan Summary outline box of the report additional Performance Measures have been calculated and summarized in tabular format.  The output is slightly different from what was presented earlier as we have incorporated a lot size into our calculations and we are now using the hypergeometric distribution.  Whereas, previously we used a binomial distribution.  Performance measures for Pm, the Average Sample Number (ASN), Average Sample Number (fully curtailed), Average Outgoing Quality (AOQ), Average Outgoing Quality Limit (AOQL), Average Total Inspection (ATI), Average Total Inspection at AQOL, and Actual Risk at Specified Quality for both AQL and RQL are provided. 

image.png

Expanding the outline node for Performance Graphs shows plots for AOQ and ATI.  Clicking the red-triangle menu option under the outline node will allow one additional graphs to be displayed including ASN.  The ASN curve is displayed with no-curtailment and full-curtailment.  Other options include displaying all curves in a single plot or a prediction profiler.

The Average Outgoing Quality (AOQ ) plot shows the AOQ plotted against possible values of proportion defective.  The AOQ at the curves maximum is designated as AOQL.

And the point at which the proportion defective occurs is labeled Pm.  The AOQ curve is useful when evaluating the effect on average quality going to the consumer after 100% inspection of rejected lots to assess the level of confidence afforded to the consumer after rectification has been completed.

Performance graphs with optional ASN CurvePerformance graphs with optional ASN Curve

I leave the reader the option to explore the other red-triangle menu options available under the other outline nodes for saving the output or for creating a JMP data table of the plan summary output.

Next time we will take a look at creating Zero Attribute Lot Acceptance Sampling plans, a.k.a., Squeglia plans.  

JMP Acceptance Sampling Plan Add-In 

Leave me a comment below.  

References

Department Of Defense, 1989, Sampling Procedures and Tables For Inspection by AttributesMIL-STD-105E, https://archive.org/details/MIL-STD-105E_1/mode/2up, Retrieved, April 2021

Schilling, E. G., & Neubauer, D. V., 2017, Acceptance Sampling in Quality Control, 3rd ed., Boca Raton, FL, CRC Press

Montgomery, D.C., 2013, Introduction to Statistical Quality Control, 7th ed., USA, John Wiley & Sons

Grant, E. L., & Leavenworth, R.S., Statistical Quality Control, 5th ed., 1980, McGraw-Hill Book Co.

SAS/QC® 15.2 User's Guide, 2020, Cary, NC

Last Modified: Apr 29, 2021 3:45 PM
Comments
Behrouz
Level I

Mr. Stan

I have installed your Add ins for creating different sampling plans, but I keep getting error message. I am running JMP 16. Any suggestions how to resolve this issue? 

Behrouz_0-1661460452660.png

Br.

Behrouz

stan_koprowski
Community Manager

Hello @Behrouz,

Based on the error it appears I am not handling the specified numbers properly because of regional formatting.

That is, the number is entered as 1,8 versus 1.8.  
To confirm can you try again with inputs using the ( US )  “.” instead of the “,” ( EU) for the decimal portion of the number and let me know if the errors are resolved.

cheers,

Stan

Behrouz
Level I

Thanks a lt. It works now. Much appreciated and extremally useful Add ins. 

Behrouz
Level I

Hi Stan

I have another question.

When I use "compare Attributes Plans" feature for comparing the different sampling plans, and even though I select type B sampling plan (Binormal), it chooses a lot size of N=10000 (in this case) for comparison.

Behrouz_0-1661508746844.png

Behrouz_1-1661508755575.png

stan_koprowski
Community Manager

Hi @Behrouz,

Thank you for the feedback; I think that would be a bug.  

I'll correct the user interface and post an update this week.

cheers,

Stan

Minh93VN
Level I

Hi sir,

What is average sample number curtailed? and how will it be illustrated in graph? Thanks!

Behrouz
Level I

Hi @stan_koprowski 

Did you get a chance to the user interface in regards to my comment from 08-26-2022? 

stan_koprowski
Community Manager

Hi @Minh93VN ,

Curtailment or treatment of the sample itself can be one of three conditions.

1. complete inspection; all items in the sample of n defined by the sampling plan are inspected
  2. semi curtailed inspection; inspection is stopped when the number of defectives found exceeds the sampling plan acceptance number
  3. fully curtailed inspection; inspection is stopped once one can make a decision on the sample 

To show the average sample number graphically, from the performance graphs red triangle select ASN.

Performance Graph--Red Triangle Select ASNPerformance Graph--Red Triangle Select ASN

stan_koprowski
Community Manager

Hello @Behrouz ,

I'm very sorry for the delay in posting an update here.

I did make the UI changes I mentioned and now my unit test cases failed as a result of the changes.

An update to the add-in will be posted in the next few days once the unit test cases have passed.

cheers,

Stan

Owen_Jonathan
Staff

Hi @stan_koprowski ,

I have a customer who is interested in this add-in and would like to ask a question. Unfortunately, I'm not an expert in this topic to help. I would really appreciate your answer for this:

"For a Given ASP

If you know the AQL and RQL and know the acceptance number(a), how do you determine the minimum number of samples (N) required for this ASP?"

Kind regards,

Owen

EDIT: Thanks Stan for the answer!

"If I understand your question correctly one would need to generate a single attribute sampling plan.

JMP Sampling Plans > Attributes > Single then click Generate/Create Attributes Plan.

Two points are required to generate a plan,
(P1, 1-Alpha) and (p2, Beta)

p1= aql
p2= rql

typical values for alpha = 0.05 and beta = 0.1

Once you supply the values for the two points the addin will calculate the required sample size and acceptance number."