cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Tips for posting to JMP Public and JMP Live

Here are some tips for posting to JMP Public.Here are some tips for posting to JMP Public.Now that JMP Public has been out for a while, we've learned some things about what makes for an effective post -- and what applies to JMP Public also applies to JMP Live. As the curator of the Featured posts on the JMP Public site, I've been collecting these best practices. Here are the tips I have so far (I expect this to be an evolving list):

• Consider the size of your JMP report before publishing it to JMP Public. The size of your JMP report when it is open on your desktop determines how big it looks when published to JMP Public.
  • If possible, share a report that will be interactive in JMP Public, such as a visualization with a Data Filter. While non-interactive graphs are absolutely fine to post and are among our Featured posts, interactive visualizations are more fun. Good examples of this are The Quantified Dog by @anne_milley, Wild Bird Rehabilitation by @mike_anderson and My Crossword Puzzle Solving Times by @XanGregg.
  • Write a description for your post and for the individual reports in your post. You may choose to provide some hints about how best to interact with the graph, include information about the data, add context about the report, etc. For example, check out 20 Years at the Movies Through Ticket Stubs by @josh_markwordt.
  • Avoid using JMP platform or graph names in the title of your post. Instead, let the title represent the topic of the data exploration/data visualization, as in Municipal Service Requests by San Francisco Neighborhood by @chuck_boiler.
  • A question can be a really good option for a post title. A question is intriguing and may entice the reader to click on your post. Take a look at Who Survived the Titanic? by @Phil_Kay.
  • Link your post to a related blog post or other related web page in the description. You will have to add this link using an HTML tag. See an example of this in the description for Josh's Movie Price History by @XanGregg.
  • Add relevant photos to your post. A photo adds visual interest and enhances your post. For example, the photo in the String Theories post by @julian helps with understanding the topic. But do watch out for big file sizes for photos, which will make your post load slowly.
  • Add a good thumbnail to your post. This image shows up when people share your post on LinkedIn, Twitter, other social media or by email.
  • Make sure you have added a photo of yourself to your JMP Public profile. Your post will look much nicer with a proper avatar!
  • Review your post for typos. If a post is selected as a Featured post, I will edit it as well.
  • Save your post initially as viewable by "Only Me" -- admins like me will still be able to see your post, but it is good practice to make the post private until it is ready to be seen by the world.
  • Make sure you are not using any copyrighted content in your post. That includes data and images.

Do you have tips to add to this list? Do you have questions about posting to JMP Public? Let me know in comments, please!

P.S. For helpful JSL tips for automating publishing to JMP Public (and JMP Live), see the post on this topic by @Daniel_Valente

Last Modified: Oct 29, 2019 1:02 PM
Comments