cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
heman_robinson
Level IV
Filtering data in JMP Interactive HTML

Since the beginning of the JMP Interactive HTML project, we’ve wondered … just how interactive can we make this?  
I’m pleased to report that JMP 14 Interactive HTML supports both  selecting and hiding with data filters. This has been a big architectural change for us, but worth it, as our users now have a powerful new exploratory tool.
Creating a filter is simple. Just choose the “Local Data Filter” menu in any JMP report. Then choose “File: Save As: Interactive HTML” (“File: Export: Interactive HTML” on the Mac). The figure below shows a Distribution analysis with the Females selected.

Figure 1. Females SelectedFigure 1. Females Selected

Here is the same report, with the Males hidden:

Figure 2. Males HiddenFigure 2. Males Hidden

Supporting two modes gives our users more flexibility; the choice of best mode depends on the size and distribution of the data set.
Continuous filtering is also supported. This chart of mean weight of football players shows that the larger, heavier players tend to be defensive and offensive linemen (“dl” and “ol”). These positions don’t require speed, and filtering on speed shows that indeed these linemen are among the slowest players. The fastest players are the defensive and offensive backs (“db” and “ob”), the halfbacks and quarterbacks (“hb” and “qb”) and the wide receivers (“wr”).  

Figure 3. The Fastest PlayersFigure 3. The Fastest Players

Controls for both categorical and continuous filters are decorated with distributions [1]. This mitigates a usability problem: Although the filter controls are uniform, your distribution probably is not. That mismatch surprises users, because adjusting controls in one place has a large effect, and in another place, a small effect. Displaying the distribution informs the user of the scope of their change. 

Figure 4. Continuous and Categorical DistributionsFigure 4. Continuous and Categorical Distributions

Chung-Wei Ng has implemented an extensive set of features in the JMP Data Filter , and we look forward to supporting more of them in future releases. In JMP 14 , all combinations of AND and OR logic are supported. You can make some complex filters! Figure 5. A Complex FilterFigure 5. A Complex Filter

Although the data filter itself is the most visible enhancement, most of the hard work on our part was in supporting both Select and Hide states in a consistent manner everywhere.  This consistent user interface eases the learning curve for users who don’t know JMP.
This also gives our users more power. Consider this heatmap of diamond prices versus weight. It’s no surprise that larger diamonds fetch a higher price, but other factors matter also. The data filter shows that price also depends on the diamond’s color: the whiter diamonds (“E”) are the most valuable.

Figure 6. Diamond Price vs. Carat Weight, Filtered by ColorFigure 6. Diamond Price vs. Carat Weight, Filtered by Color More examples using data filters can be found on our Examples page. We hope you enjoy this powerful new tool!

References

[1] Willett, W., Heer, J., and Agrawala, M. (2007), "Scented Widgets: Improving Navigation Cues with Embedded Visualizations", IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, 13, 6, 1129-1136, available online at http://vis.berkeley.edu/papers/scented_widgets/ .

Last Modified: May 2, 2018 1:57 PM
Comments
GM
Level III

Very cool, can't wait to get JMP 14.  This is such a great enhancement.

Sincerely,

Matt Goodlaw

altug_bayram
Level IV

hello .... 

I am using JMP14 Pro and have submitted a ticket to helpdesk on this subject yesterday.

I have a graph with a local data filter which I like to convert into an interactive html dashboard. 

I have no idea where File - Save As - Interactive html option is. 

Are you talking on the main data table ... I don't see any html option under Save As

Under local data filter, Save as usually refers to script, data table etc.... again no html option 

Can you be a more specific please ?

thx.

heman_robinson
Level IV

Hi,

The "File" menu is the first menu, at the top left corner of the window.

Capture.PNG

Choose "File: Save As...", and "Type: Interactive HTML with Data".

Thanks,

Heman.

altug_bayram
Level IV

Thanks for your help. I was able to locate "File" while in a Graph Builder mode. I wasn't aware of the hidden menu item in that mode. 

So I was able to save my graph as interactive html

However.  it didn't work. Would appreciate your further comments....

thx.

It said right at the beginning "interactive html is partially implemented... see Log" 

Log contained... 

Capture.JPG

heman_robinson
Level IV

Altug,

We display the "partially implemented" message when there is at least one feature that is exported to HTML5, but is not interactive. 

Without seeing your output, I'd guess that the messages about Controls and ListBoxBox can be ignored.  The Box Plot "solid" drawing style, however, is not yet supported.  If you change to the default "normal" style, that should work.

If you are a frequent user of the "solid" drawing style, the best way to get it supported is to notify Technical Support.  They will open a ticket, and track all the customers who request this feature. 

Thanks for your interest!

Heman.

altug_bayram
Level IV

Heman, 

Can we have a live skype session tomorrow afternoon ?

Bobby Riggs has also been trying to help via email , if possible I like to have you both. 

What time would work best for you ?

I am not too sure on solid vs. normal style. I made a guess that it is about line thickness I am using on the plot, turned into normal thickness. Still this does not seem to work. 

heman_robinson
Level IV

Altug,

In my position I'm not able to have individual discussions, but if you are working with Bobby you will be OK; he is one of our best.
Also, to learn more about box plot drawing styles, you can refer to our online documentation. It has helped me many times.
     https://www.jmp.com/support/help/14/box-plot.shtml
Best regards,
Heman.

altug_bayram
Level IV

Heman,

I wanted to meet w/ Bobby... haven't gotten his reply back.

However as summary for you ...

I have gone to normal style which seemed to go around the first issue. 

My normal case is a big one, 248 params on data filter, and plotting 2 plots (top and bottom) w/ a total of 6 parameters X 4 different populations X 10 flight phases are plotted for a selected param (out of 248) ... and this seems to be stack (jmp dies out trying to perform it). 

So I created a simpler version where 248 is reduced to 3. 

Now I can get the interactive plot and they are clearly wrong. No matter which of the 3 is chosen, plots show the same values.

I select all 3 params before saving as html .... 

not sure if this is the problem, but if one is selected, then the other don't show up in the html

If I can get Bobby, I will show it to him. thx.

lucy_luo_conoco
Level III

the interactive web report didn't work for me at all.

Interactive HTML: Controls are not interactive.
Interactive HTML: Mosaic cell labels are not supported.
Interactive HTML: Contour plot is not interactive.
Interactive HTML: Controls are not interactive.
Interactive HTML: Mosaic cell labels are not supported.
Interactive HTML: Contour plot is not interactive.
Created Web Page.

heman_robinson
Level IV

Hi Lucy,

As with Altug's posting previously, not all features of JMP Desktop are supported in JMP Interactive HTML.
Judging from the Log messages, you are using a Contour Plot, which is not yet supported.

We add more features in every release, and will give this one strong consideration.

Thanks,

Heman.

lucy_luo_conoco
Level III

thanks for your reply. 

one question about your interactive bivariate fit graph. when you choose male filter, did your linear line change? when I just use bivariate fit of interactive report, it only shows the linear line for all the data, not changed to the filter data at all. 

attached video 

heman_robinson
Level IV

Hi Lucy,

No, the line does not change.  Altug Bayram, who posted above, eventually ran into this problem also. 

The line does not change because Interactive HTML supports the Select and Hide row states, but not the Exclude state.  The Select and Hide states enable exploration of the graphics, but not recalculation of the statistics.

We do have work under development that would re-fit the line as you describe.  Watch for an announcement at JMP Discovery :)

Thanks,

Heman.

lucy_luo_conoco
Level III

Heman,

Thanks for the clarification. Looking forward to the new update :)