cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

<< Close Side Panels() Confusion

Hi.  I have 2 requests related to the "<< Close Side Panels()" command.  First, my specifics:

JMP Pro 16.2.0

macOS Monterey 12.5

1.  Working with JMP support (case TS-00010957), we have discovered that it appears to affect -all- tables that are opened after the command, and not just the table that the command is sent to.  That is: dt << Close Side Panels(1) will close the side panels on all subsequently opened tables, and not just dt.  This code illustrates the issue:

Names Default To Here(1);
dt = Open("$SAMPLE_DATA/Blood Pressure.jmp");
dt << Close Side Panels(0);
Wait(2);
dt << Close Side Panels(1);
Wait(2);
Close(dt, NoSave);
dt = Open("$SAMPLE_DATA/Blood Pressure.jmp");
dt2 = Open("$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp");

On my system, after the script is run, both dt and dt2 have their side panels closed, despite never issuing the command for dt2.  JMP Support has confirmed this behavior is fixed in JMP17, so I'm issuing this wish list item just in case.

2. JMP appears to save the open/closed state of the side panels for each table, such that even after the table is closed and reopened, the table will retain the condition it was in prior to closing (I'm not sure if this ability to recall persists if JMP is closed and reopened, or if computer is restarted.  Might be worth investigating). If this is the intended behavior, then I would ask that the Script Editor and Online documentation for this command be updated to make sure the user understands this.  This will prevent confusion.

Thanks!

2 Comments
mia_stephens
Staff
Status changed to: Acknowledged

Audrey_Shull
Staff

I am double-confirming here that item 1) above was addressed in the JMP 17 release of JMP, recently available (upgrade now if your company allows it). The message that is sent to the data table now only affects the specific table. We've also removed the behavior of silently setting a global preference altogether, and surfaced the preference to close side panels globally within the preferences dialog. It can be searched and found. Hopefully this addresses the confusion about this feature and behaves more intuitively now. I think this wish could be marked as 'Delivered' but i will just leave this comment and let the Product Management team handle this wish as is best.