cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
0 Kudos

Text Explorer: Phrase Cloud

Would be great to have an option to create a cloud of phrases, a "Phrase Cloud", in addition to the Word Cloud option for terms. Often the phrases (words together n in context) are more meaningful than the separate terms. 

1 Comment
Craige_Hales
Super User

Interesting. You can do this now, with some effort, but you might distort the data. You can select the phrases in the right-hand column and right-click->Add-Phrase to move them to the left-hand column. The phrases will probably have much smaller counts than the single terms and not show up in the cloud at all. But, to see the effect, you can then make stop-words from the high-frequency terms (select, right-click->Stop word). In the process of making this example, I realized I was removing countries with one-word names, and probably other interesting terms. And accidentally removing Los Angeles, which I suppose I could have restored with the stop-word editor.

Stop word editor showing the stemmed phrase los angel*Stop word editor showing the stemmed phrase los angel*

The misleading word chart from random Wikipedia articles:

A big word cloud with phrases and termsA big word cloud with phrases and terms

I wanted to know about "Wikipedia by expand", so I right-clicked in the word cloud->Show text to find articles like "article is a stub ... You can help Wikipedia by expanding it".  Cool! But probably don't use stemming, it is hard to read.

Word cloud without stemmingWord cloud without stemming