cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Support data filters in interactive HTML Reports

In order to be able to share the results with a non - JMP user , it will be very useful if the data filters in HTML reports are interactive. 

dt= Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" ); 
Ana =  dt << Graph Builder(
							Size( 524, 450 ),
							Show Control Panel( 0 ),
							Variables( X( :weight ), Y( :height ) ),
							Elements( Points( X, Y, Legend( 8 ) ) ),
							Local Data Filter(
								Add Filter(
									columns( :age ),
									Display( :age, Size( 181, 102 ), List Display )
								)
							)
						);

Rep = Ana << report ; 
Rep << Save Interactive HTML("C:\Desktop\Test.html");
13 Comments
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager
Status changed to: New

Thanks for your suggestion, @uday_guntupalli.

We'll need to know which reports, specifically, you're having difficulty with. Since saving as Interactive HTML was introduced in JMP 11 we continue to make more and more parts of the JMP reports interactive when exported to HTML. It will help to know which reports are a priority for you.

BTW: You can see examples of interactive HTML JMP reports in our gallery.

Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager
Status changed to: Needs Info

uday_guntupalli
Level VIII

@Jeff_Perkinson : 

My request should have said , preserve data filters in interactive HTML plots .

dt= Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" ); 
Ana =  dt << Graph Builder(
							Size( 524, 450 ),
							Show Control Panel( 0 ),
							Variables( X( :weight ), Y( :height ) ),
							Elements( Points( X, Y, Legend( 8 ) ) ),
							Local Data Filter(
								Add Filter(
									columns( :age ),
									Display( :age, Size( 181, 102 ), List Display )
								)
							)
						);

Rep = Ana << report ; 
Rep << Save Interactive HTML("C:\Desktop\Test.html");

Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager

Thanks, @uday_guntupalli, that helps.

I've edited the request to reflect your clarification.

Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager
Status changed to: New

Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager
Status changed to: Delivered

In JMP 14 Local Data Filters are now included in Interactive HTML reports.

Read more about it here

caseylott
Level IV

Hi @Jeff_Perkinson ,

Does JMP have plans to make data filters and column switchers work for interactive .html for all graph types produced using graph builder? If so, great. When do you think this process might be finished? If not, are there any options for sharing visualizations with non-JMP users where local data filters, column switchers, and hover windows work no matter the graph type (e.g., like they do on my desktop version)? I would really like to be able to share interactive visualizations with a broad range of colleagues, most of which don't have JMP, but I usually can't make my data public for privacy concerns.

Are there any interactive data visualization sharing options where I'm likely to have a higher success rate with these features than interactive .html, which often gives me "feature not supported.." messages". I can report messages like these individually, add requests to the wish list, and hope that new functionality is added incrementally with new versions of JMP. However, what I'd really like to do is figure out a long-term solution for visualization sharing where I can share the wide range of visualization types that I create with non-JMP users via email or online, and not have functionality be hit or miss. I'll emphasize here that I've been using JMP since 3.2 and love the product. However, I run a small business and cannot afford an expensive subscription service (the annual fee for standard JMP is already my biggest software expense). I'm hoping I haven't run into a wall here where I'm requesting something that is only available for corporate level JMP users. I don't foresee ever being able to afford this kind of expense. 

Thanks in advance for your response, and feel free to contact me offline using my JMP user contact information 

Casey Lott

Conservation Science & Data Visualization  

caseylott
Level IV

Hello again @Jeff_Perkinson ,

I'm wondering if you, or anyone else, could respond to my post from last November. I have created a dashboard that I would like to make publicly available. However, the value of this dashboard is dependent on being able to filter and subset data using data filters and a word cloud. I recently updated to 16.0. I tried saving my dashboard to interactive html and I still get a response that the data filters and word cloud are not interactive. Looking through the dashboards at JMP Public, I couldn't find any dashboards that used data filters or had interactive word clouds. I am hoping to be able to include a link to an online version of this dashboard as supplementary material to a peer-reviewed publication. However, I still can't see a path to do this if filters and word cloud interactivity are not supported in interactive .html and/or JMP public. Is there any other way that I might be able to share this dashboard with a non-JMP user where these features are still interactive? 

I submitted a post yesterday about filtering that includes the data table and shows some of the interactivity features that make this dashboard useful. https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/Using-multiple-filters-in-a-dashboard-to-subset-records-and... 

Thanks in advance for your response.

Casey Lott 

208-629-8705 (MT)

Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager

Hi @caseylott,

My apologies for not responding earlier. I seem to have overlooked your post.

Fully interactive data filters, those that subset the data and produce analytic results on those subsets, need to have a JMP process to reanalyze the subset and produce the results. As such, these will never be supportable in interactive HTML alone. That's why JMP Live was created. To provide a web site that can host interactive JMP reports with data filters and column switchers.

JMP Public is a public-facing version of JMP Live to allow public sharing of JMP reports. If your data and analysis isn't proprietary you can publish it to JMP Public. 

As for word clouds, I've published a sample report from the Text Explorer platform with a word cloud and a data filter to show how this works.

JMP Public report with word cloud and data filterJMP Public report with word cloud and data filter

caseylott
Level IV
Thanks for the response, @Jeff_Perkinson . No problem, the community traffic is high. I can't imagine tracking it all.

A few questions... Does your response mean that I need to have a JMP Live license to publish to JMP Public with a functional data filter? Or, can I do this with a standard JMP license?

Also, is there any way to use the Word Cloud as a selection filter on JMP Public? I've been able to do this with my JMP dashboard.

I can't figure out how to attach my jmp table to this response, so you can go to the link for my earlier post, download the data table and run the dashboard script to see what I'm talking about below  .

Right now, with my JMP dashboard, I can use either the data filter OR the word cloud (right click/select rows) to subset records indicated by dots on the map. I can also use the data filter AND the word cloud for subsetting, which is really cool. In either case, I can select any number of levels in any combination within each column included in the data filter. 

Is there any way that this kind of functionality possible in JMP Public? We're still working on coding the publication data that this dashboard is based on, but when were finished, I'd like to publish in on JMP Public, if I can get the filtering to work, and then use the JMP Public link to direct other natural resource scientists to it.

Thanks, 

Casey