cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Row Filtering and hiding

Would like to have the ability to actually hide rows that are selected to be hidden.  Makes review of specific rows quick.  Otherwise will just keep using Excel.

8 Comments
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager
Status changed to: Needs Info

Can you clarify a bit? Do you mean you'd like to hide rows in the data table display? As opposed to the current features to keep rows from appearing in graphs and plots.

julian
Community Manager

Hi @Jim_Gillard,

I completely understand the need for focusing attention on particular rows. In JMP, my favorite way to do this is the Data View, which you can invoke by selecting whichever rows you wish to focus on, then right-click the Selected line in the Rows section of the data table, then select Data View. The new table view you get is a linked subset of the table, allowing you to make edits, create selections, or simply view just that subset of the data (see gif below). Once you're done viewing that subset you simply close the table.

I have found this to be a much more effective way to focus attention than hiding rows, which I used to do in Excel as well. Hope this is helpful. 

@julian 

DataView.gif

Jim_Gillard
Level II

@Jeff_Perkinson 

To answer your question, yes I would like to hide rows from being displayed in a data table view to focus on those that are selected.  Skips have to select and using F7 to find highlighted rows or creating a new table of just those selected but creating a distribution of a categorical column and double clicking on the bar of the data of interest.  Want this ablilty on one or more columns at the same time too plus being able to select more than one group within a column.  Thinking of big class file it would be like filtering out all but one sex and then by one or more age.  I deal with files with rows in the 000's and 000,000's so quick selection by using the new dist feature in JMP15 would be awesome.   Just trying to get out of using Excel.  As for data filtering a table Excel is superior (and that's about the only thing).

@julian 

I found the data view.  Was right clicking in the wrong place.  This is just a shortcut to doing a Table>Subset however is handy.

Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager
Status changed to: New

AnilPann
Level I
I vote yes on this request for the same reasons.
I saw how we can use data filter to highlight selected variable values rows
How do I specifically hide the un selected rows from view as I play around with the different filters. ?

I do not want to export a sub table each time since I am just playing around and looking at the data. 

This is one of the reasons I keep having to go back to Excel filter instead of staying within JMP.
Status changed to: Acknowledged

Hi @Jim_Gillard, thank you for your suggestion! We have captured your request and will take it under consideration.

SamGardner
Staff
Status changed to: Investigating

hogi
Level XI

I think  @julian 's Dynamic Subset Add-In (Filterable Data Table, updated) is what you want.

Either directly, to filter the data that you want.

Or even via Excluded() - just add a formula column with formula = excluded() to directly toggle excluded / non excluded rows on and off.

@julian 

how about adding such a yes/no selection for excluded /non-excluded rows directly into the DynamicSubset Add-In?