cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Provide an option to data filter to make it filter on button press (add new optional Run button)

What inspired this wish list request? 

I have come across few types of issues with data filters when working with large datasets which make filtering data very slow and unresponsive (conditional data filters getting unfiltered and using Find). Issues with Find can be related to few (bugs? or features) how Find works with local data filters, but Run would still be nice option to have.

What is the improvement you would like to see? 

I would like to see an option in Filter red triangle menu to create Run button for a filter. This would allow me to filter the data to the level I want to before filtering it all.

Why is this idea important? 

Using filters with data having a lot of data can get quite unresponsive from time to time, especially if there is any calculations involved.

4 Comments
hogi
Level XI

This feature could help - especially when you want to select several entries in a filter.

Often, I select the first item, press SHIFT or CTRL - and when I select the second item, Jmp just selects the second item - because the background actions are still running which were triggered by selecting the first entry.

solutions:
- take care and wait long enough

- it seems to help if you start by selecting an item with few corresponding rows (then you don't have to wait for so long till it's possible to select the second item)

FN
Level VI

This is a common limitation with process and manufacturing data indeed.

JMP has something similar implemented already when using a filter within predictor screening.

There is an option to re-run the analysis only on demand.

hogi
Level XI

another application case: a large data set and character data to filter. When I use the filter on top of the data filter and write a word, with every character JMP freezes for some while till the next character can be entered. This is so frustrating that I even added a text edit box to key in the whole word  - which can then be copied and pasted to the actual data filter.

hogi_0-1710533464560.png

hogi
Level XI

the optional "filter on button press" could be analogous to what's possible in JMP Live (with auto-update didabled):

hogi_0-1710533535596.png