cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Multiple File Import - Force Combine

I would like to suggest the ability to force MFI to combine files together, even if it finds differences.

Use Case: I am combining data from two instrument platforms where the data is set up identically, but the differences are enough that MFI separates the data into two tables if I have both instrument platforms. I am aware of all pertinent differences, and just want to leverage MFI for high quality, quick combination. I would like a radio button to 'force into one file' along with "Stack Similar Files" and "One Table for Each File".

While JMP does an amazing job most of the time, sometimes I know better than JMP

5 Comments
jszarka
Level IV

To quickly add on to that, it's common for me to have a .CSV or .XLS file that is identical except 1 out of N files has something silly like an extra empty column on the far right. Even if it was just an option to 'force concatenate' in the dialog box, that could be useful.

hogi
Level XI

Is there a possibility to define the columns explicitly - like it's possible for (single file) csv import
... and thereby hide the differences under the carpet?

nathan-clark
Level VI

I think those are great options. I've written my own addin which can do the force concatenation and it uses MFI as the backbone. Only a couple more features and I can deprecate my addin and just use JMPs functionality

Status changed to: Acknowledged

Hi @nathan-clark, thank you for your suggestion! We have captured your request and will take it under consideration.

hogi
Level XI

Another application case for:
force MFI to combine files together, even if it finds differences.

To get files fast into Jmp - and preprocess them afterwards:

https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/Open-multiple-Files/m-p/632068/highlight/true#M83045 

(disable the header detection + force combine)