cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Display column notes as Tooltips on column headers

What inspired this wish list request? We're building a tool that loads well-documented data sources to JMP (a data mesh, essentially). We'd like to reveal the documentation about column governance, data types, and meaning to users conveniently. We can add these details to the Notes property, but this isn't highly visible.

What is the improvement you would like to see? When hovering over a column header, if the Notes property is defined, show a tooltip containing the column notes. Practically, this would display in just the same way Event Handler tooltips display, but rather than being defined at the cell level, it's defined at the column header.

Why is this idea important? Well-documented data sources allow other capable data-workers to understand, work with, and gain value from the data sources generated by others. For us, this means that the scientists who deeply understand, say, protein chemistry can create data tables with notes that allow those of us (like me) who don't really know what a "pI" is to use the dataset fluently.

5 Comments
SamGardner
Staff
Status changed to: Acknowledged

@Michael_MXAK thank you for the input.  If you hover your mouse over the modeling type symbol for the column in the Columns Pane, it will display the note as a hover box.  We will take your idea under consideration, however.  

SamGardner_0-1680875290821.png

SamGardner
Staff
Status changed to: New

We checked into this further, and currently, we do display notes as tooltips when you hover over the column header in the data table.  

SamGardner
Staff
Status changed to: Delivered

Michael_MXAK
Level IV

Ah, I see what's happening! I tested multiple times but I've always tested on columns I've selected before hovering.

I'll amend my suggestion to a bug report, which is that tooltips don't display (on Windows) on column headers if the column is selected (the column header is blue). I'll send it to support@jmp.com!

Michael_MXAK
Level IV

Thanks @SamGardner !