cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Column function to return matrix of values over statistic

What inspired this wish list request? I have a table that is already sorted in a specific manner and I can't resort it. I need to do a Column Statistic, but not a standard statistic. I can build JSL in the column formula to go through the whole table to create a matrix "by" the categories of interest, but for this larger table, the JSL layer would be pretty slow and inefficient. JMPs canned columns statistics already gather these matricies - and quite fast - so I would like to leverage that.

What is the improvement you would like to see? I would like to see a column function that is more generic... so like ColMean(column, by1, by2, by3) returns the mean of a matrix of values by 'by1', 'by2' and 'by3' .... I would like a function that just returns the matrix of values prior to any math being done.

Why is this idea important?  As mentioned in the first section, coding this in the column formula would be very inefficient. Coding this in a separate script (a table script, perhaps) could be faster, but then not as 'live' as a formula in a column. With JMPs base infrastructure already existing, being able to leverage it further would be ideal.

1 Comment
jthi
Super User

Sometimes you can also use Summarize (it has very limited statistics thought) or Summary table.

This item has maybe same idea Add new << Calculate Values() function ? This also suggest something similar but just for matricesMatrix Operations with By variables