cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
0 Kudos

Column Filters

Hello,

Can a feature be added to data tables to show column filters, similar to what Excel has? This would be mainly for visualization of the data. I know that this can essentially be done for analysis by using Rows -> Data Filter but that's for analysis and doesn't change the column view.

Regards

Mehul Shroff

9 Comments
Status changed to: Acknowledged

Hi @MShroff, thank you for your suggestion! We have captured your request and will take it under consideration.

Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @MShroff , can you take a look at the Dynamic Subset Add-in and see if it helps you accomplish this?

MShroff
Level V

Hello @Sarah-Sylvestre,

Thanks, will do. However, since add-ins are not fully supported by JMP (wrt testing, debug, maintenance), my preference would be to have this be a built-in solution in JMP.

Regards

Mehul

MShroff
Level V

Hello @Sarah-Sylvestre, I downloaded the add-in and tried to install it in JMP 17. I didn't get any error messages or warnings but I didn't see it under the Add-Ins menu. I closed and restarted JMP but it still wasn't there.I tried installing it once again but got the same result. Is there a compatibility issue between this add-in and JMP 17? I recently installed another add-in and had no issues. See screenshot below.

MShroff_0-1678336322744.png

Please kindly advise.

Regards

Mehul Shroff

hogi
Level XI

@MShroff :
The Function can be found in the Tables menu:

hogi_1-1678349853726.png

MShroff
Level V

Hello @hogi , @Sarah-Sylvestre ,

Thanks for the additional clarification. I see it now. I tried it but it didn't work the way it's shown in video at the URL provided above. I'm using this with JMP 17 and within a project in case it matters (I have frequently run into unique issues with various platforms within projects that do not occur outside projects, not sure if this is one of them). Since JMP Tech Support does not support add-ins, I'd like to reiterate my request for this to be an enhancement.

In case it helps, I'm happy to do a call with you to demonstrate what's going on at my end to see if I'm doing something wrong.

Regards

Mehul Shroff

hogi
Level XI

@julian 

I just checkt with Big Class opened as is and put into a project.

The behavior is indeed a bit different if the table is in a project: The Add-In starts without a data table view.
But as soon as you select a column to pick the rows to display, the table shows up and everything seems to work smoothly.
Same on your side?

hogi_2-1678383252762.png

hogi_1-1678383081692.png

julian
Community Manager

That's exactly right, @hogi. It's a bit of a peculiarity of the Add-In with Projects. In the 17.1 update this should be fixed without any update to the Add-In, but for now doing as you suggest is the workaround. 

Status changed to: Investigating

Thanks for the discussion everyone! @MShroff we will still evaluate this request, as I understand having an add-in is not an ideal solution. I wanted to offer it up as a workaround until we get to prioritize this, and also I wanted to see if the add-in solved your problem to make sure I understood what you were asking for. Thank you for taking a look!