cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Automatic inclusion of Names Default to Here( 1 ) when new script window is opened

I would like to see a new preference added to the Script Editor preferences.  I would simply provide a check box that when checked would automatically add the namespace specification of

Names Default to Here( 1 );

as the first line in the script, when a new script window is requested.

6 Comments
guillaumebugnon
Level V

Hi,

Another proposal would be to use a script template that we could customize.

It would be quicker to import custom jsl framework for example (if these imports are defined in the template).

jthi
Super User

I have created request for creating scripts directly from template. It was forwarded to R&D but no idea what happened to it after that as it has been Closed. That ticket was opened 24.02.2021.

My request was (Tracking ID: 7613288873):

Questions:
Topic: General usage
Subtopic: Feature Request

Details:
Would it be possible to add new feature to JMP (for Script Editor) which would allow starting new scripts
from template?

I would not replace the current option New / Script but add additional selection with possible shortcut,
for example "New Script from Template". Path could be either similar to jmpStart.jsl which is saved to
specific location with specific name (jslTemplate.jsl?) and loaded from there OR you could maybe change it from Preferences if
Default is
not ok for you.

Added attachment as an example of template I would like to use. Currently I always have to copy-paste
the template (if I remember) to start new script.

vince_faller
Super User (Alumni)

I just have my own script mapped to Ctrl+T

<jm:menu_and_toolbar_customizations xmlns:jm="http://www.jmp.com/ns/menu" version="3">
  <jm:insert_in_main_menu>
    <jm:insert_in_menu>
      <jm:name>FILE</jm:name>
      <jm:insert_in_menu>
        <jm:name>NEW</jm:name>
        <jm:customization target="SCRIPT">
          <jm:accel>Ctrl+Shift+T</jm:accel>
        </jm:customization>
        <jm:insert_after>
          <jm:name>SCRIPT</jm:name>
          <jm:command>
            <jm:name>HERESCRIPT</jm:name>
            <jm:caption>HereScript</jm:caption>
            <jm:action type="text">new window("Script", &lt;&lt;script("Names default to here(1);\!n"));</jm:action>
            <jm:accel>Ctrl+T</jm:accel>
            <jm:icon type="none"></jm:icon>
          </jm:command>
          <jm:command>
            <jm:name>BIGCLASS</jm:name>
            <jm:caption>BigClass</jm:caption>
            <jm:action type="text">new window("Script", &lt;&lt;script("Names default to here( 1 );\!ndt = open(\!"$SAMPLE_DATA\Big Class.jmp\!");\!n"));</jm:action>
            <jm:accel>Ctrl+Shift+B</jm:accel>
            <jm:icon type="none"></jm:icon>
          </jm:command>
        </jm:insert_after>
      </jm:insert_in_menu>
    </jm:insert_in_menu>
  </jm:insert_in_main_menu>
</jm:menu_and_toolbar_customizations>
ih
Super User (Alumni)
Super User (Alumni)

Regardless of the other solutions here which I think would be good for advanced users, I like the idea of having a preference to for the names default to here that would help those who are new to scripting.

SamGardner
Staff
Status changed to: Investigating

We are taking a closer look at this idea and we will provide an update when we have more information.  

txnelson
Super User

Thanks Sam......