cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP Wish List

We want to hear your ideas for improving JMP software.

1. Search: Please search for an existing idea first before submitting a new idea.
  2. Submit: Post your new idea using the Suggest an Idea button. Please submit one actionable idea per post rather than a single post with multiple ideas.
  3. Kudo & Comment Kudo ideas you like, and comment to add to an idea.
  4. Subscribe: Follow the status of ideas you like. Refer to status definitions to understand where an idea is in its lifecycle. (You are automatically subscribed to ideas you've submitted or commented on.)

We consider several factors when looking for what ideas to add to JMP. This includes what will have the greatest benefit to our customers based on scope, needs and current resources. Product ideas help us decide what features to work on next. Additionally, we often look to ideas for inspiration on how to add value to developments already in our pipeline or enhancements to new or existing features.

Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Allow for rows to be hidden from view in the data table as a row property

What inspired this wish list request? I would want to see just limited selection of rows in the data table but I currently have to subset the datatable to have a quick glance at the selection.

What is the improvement you would like to see? Add in a "hide in table" option for rows where the row itself does not appear in the data table, much like you can do with columns. This could work much like the filter options in excel.

Why is this idea important? I am often concerned with only viewing a small selection of my data in a data view "analysis" but I don't want it to be in its own data able as I am still using all the data in a global view in something like graph builder.  Also, anytime I can do something in a table without having to make a new table (less windows!) is always a win.

3 Comments
hogi
Level XI

With QuickSelect Toolbar it's just a single click to open the subset.
I use it a dozen times a day. Couldn't live without that.

Often one just wants to have the restricted view for some minutes - for some deep dive investigation, or some data curation.
With the single click, this is even easier than excluding the rows. And there is 0 effort to come back to the full view: just close the subset.

hogi
Level XI

Besides that, you could try Dynamic Subset Add-In (Filterable Data Table, updated) by @julian 
check it out. for my applications, it's too many mouse clicks to get to the final view ...

and 3rd:
there is already a Wish from 2020 with the same topic:
Row Filtering and hiding 

Maybe, by combining the Kudos the wish could be "accelerated"

shampton82
Level VII

Hey @hogi !

Yeah hopefully on the JMP side they have a way of combining these types of request! (and are actively doing it).

My main goal is here to not have another window pop up!  JMP is already a window machine gun so don't want another bullet in the mag.

For option 1, If I want to change my selection then I have to a new subset so not great for quick interactions.

For option 2, Julians add in is pretty close but it does not work if you want the filter to only show selected rows using the row state function (it also is another window!) as well as other compromises like the window resizes when you use a filter and your toolbars disappear.

This would also align with how excel works which I always think is a win when possible as it helps with user transitions.