cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Additional options for cross hair and measurement tool

What inspired this wish list request? I use the cross-hair tool and measurement tools a lot but find myself having to write down a lot of information I gain from them, which is a waste of time. 

What is the improvement you would like to see? I would like to see the following:

Cross hair

• Ability to "Pin" the cross-hair tool image
  • Ability to save out the values of the cross hair to a table

Measurement tool

• Ability for the cross hairs to calculate a slope value that would show under the dx and dy values
  • Ability to force the measurement tool to stick in an "x / y" mode (like when the axis are different data types) vs the "slope" mode (when data are the same data types).  This will allow you to line up the X and Y values to the data more easily.
  • Ability to "Pin" the measurement tool image 
  • Ability to save out the values of the cross hair to a table

Why is this idea important? The cross-hair and measurement tools are amazing at allowing you to interact with your data but the usefulness is muted by having to resort to hand calculating / documenting the information that you gain.

3 Comments
Craige_Hales
Super User

combine with Allow pinning/locking crosshairs and rulers to graphs 

digitizing to a data table - yes!

shampton82
Level VII

On other item to add here for the measurement tool, be able to change the amount of decimal points in the "length" portion of the output.  Right now it will only show out to 2 decimals when in measuring on an angle.  When measuring at zero or 90 degrees it defaults to 16 decimal places.

shampton82_1-1708114626145.png

shampton82_0-1708114597120.png

shampton82
Level VII

Two other asks for this wish list item. 

1. When you hold Alt and the magnifier glass goes away, can it keep the data table values?  The magnifier takes up a lot of room so it is nice to be able to remove it but I usually want the data values still
  2. Can the magnifier show the value of the color and size values when they are used?  This would help when using the magnifier on a contour plot and bubble plot.

Thanks for looking at these additional requests!