cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
0 Kudos

Additional Graph Builder Function: Order overlay values by descending order

What inspired this wish list request? Please describe the current issue that needs improvement or the problem to be solved that is not easy or possible right now, with an example use case. 

Hello, I am trying to put together some complex charts for my company and I have run into an issue. I have to show a certain value for multiple categories over the span of a dozen quarters (see image below). I want to be able to order the categories in my stacked bar chart by the value in my y-axis. In this example, I would want the non-fail category to be on the bottom of the stack followed by application category and so on and so forth.

I know that I can manually assign the stack order but that is not robust enough for my purposes. I have local data filters that, when used, will change the value of the categories and then they will need to be manually restacked again.

I have talked with the JMP experts assigned to my company and they told me that there wasn't a built in functionality for this yet which is why I am writing this post.

AttributedMouse_0-1726582590819.png

What is the improvement you would like to see? Please describe the idea for improving JMP. Please include mock-ups, wireframes, screenshots, scripts, other documents or examples from other software that help describe the change you would like to see. 

Just like how you are able to order the x axis bars of the bar chart by descending/ascending order of the overlay values (see below). I want to be able to order the overlay stack in the same manner.

AttributedMouse_1-1726583924959.png

Why is this idea important? Please describe the value to you and/or other users if the idea is implemented (for example, ease of use, must have,…).

This seems like a must have for a graph builder. Being able to order your data by values that are displayed on the graph should be easy to do and is something I would think a lot of people would expect JMP to have.

1 Comment
hogi
Level XI

By default, the values seem to appear in the bars by "row" order.

hogi_0-1726584842528.png

To specify an order, you can use the column property "value order" and force JMP to stick to that order. (is this what you call "manually?").
Then the values will show up from bottom to top in the bars - and from top to bottom in the legend ( Reverse order button in legend settings )

if you want to order "descending" at Overlay and ascending at another place, just use the descending order as default via the column properties.
Then Overlay will show the values as you want.
And for the second place use the "sort order and switch to "descending" (-> descending x descending will give you ascending order)

Alternatively: use a cloned column with reverse order for the second place.