cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
nina_chan
Staff
World Water Day cleanup activity during Discovery Summit Europe

ds-eu-2022-world-water-day-cleanup.jpgWorld Water Day is March 22. At JMP, we carefully track our environmental footprint, and we are so proud of our customers who use data analytics to make a difference in the world. As part of our Data for Green initiative and Discovery Summit Europe – our feature event for JMP users to learn and connect – we invite you to join us to mark World Water Day 2022 by cleaning up your street, neighborhood or park. Litter thoughtlessly thrown on the ground or in the water clogs up waterways and contaminates groundwater. Protecting groundwater is the focus of this year's World Water Day.

Collect litter starting today until March 22

Starting today until March 22, JMP staff and customers, and anybody who would like to participate are invited to join our Discovery Summit Cleanup. This is how it works:

• Take a walk around your neighborhood. It does not matter if you live in a city, in the country, or near water. You can do this alone, with a friend, family member or colleague. Collect trash you see in a trash bag.
  • Please be safe and use gloves or garbage tongs. Weigh the trash you collected (with a regular scale by weighing yourself with and without the trash), or a luggage scale.
  • For every kilo of trash we all collect, JMP will donate 2 EUR to The Ocean Cleanup, an innovative organization from Rotterdam, Netherlands. We also encourage every participant to donate to this cause.
  • Take a few minutes to fill out the form. Tell us where you are and what kind of trash you found. 

Mahmoud Hammoud (@mhammoud), JMP Sr. Systems Engineer, is analyzing the data you share. You can view the dashboard and track our progress which will be updated hourly on JMP Public

Register today for Discovery Summit Europe and tune in on March 22 at 11:30 CET to hear about the results.

Last Modified: Mar 28, 2022 1:58 PM
Comments
arati_mejdal
Staff

I picked up trash today by the Inner Harbor in Baltimore and collected 5 kg of garbage! I was surprised how many disposable lighters I found. Also lots of cigarette and cigar packaging. And of course, face masks. I was pleased to find very few plastic shopping bags, as the city has banned stores and restaurants from using them.WorldWaterDayCleanup.jpg

nina_chan
Staff

Well done @arati_mejdal, thank you for participating! 5 kg is quite a bit of trash!

Peter_Hersh
Staff

My son, Sam, and I cleaned up the parking lot near our local community center and a few blocks surrounding our house in Denver CO USA.  22kg/49lbs Data for Green 1.jpgData for Green 2.jpg

anne_milley
Staff

Awesome job!  49 pounds--your son is really strong!  

arati_mejdal
Staff

I thought my 5kg was a lot -- 22kg is truly impressive cleanup work, @Peter_Hersh and Sam! I'm sure your community appreciated your efforts. Thanks for sharing these pics! What heavy items did you pick up?

Peter_Hersh
Staff

Just trying to keep pace with Germany

Jordan_Hiller
Staff

Here's my neighborhood crew, picking up some trash on Sunday morning. Great way to spend time outside with friends.

31 pounds this time -- we'll do it again next week, so I'll add that before submitting the form.

IMG_0489.jpg

arati_mejdal
Staff

@Jordan_Hiller What a happy crew! I love that you have the trash grabbers -- I want one!