cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
The JMP to R Add-In Builder
juliagong
Staff (Retired)

Update 27Jun2018: JMPtoRAddinBuilder.jmpaddin now contains unencrypted JSL source files.

Version 2 Update

I am happy to announce that the JMP to R Add-In Builder now supports the output of all output components (table, plot, etc.) as a single report! To enable this feature, install the attached "JMPtoRAddinBuilderWithReport". When defining your output components, check the "Return all results as report" box.

To see an example of the updated output format, scroll to the corresponding section in the post below. The SVM function with the report output enabled is also attached.

What is the JMP to R Add-In Builder?

While JMP is a very powerful statistical software, JMP users may want to extend JMP beyond its included capabilities by accessing some R functionalities.

This summer, in light of the need to make R functions more accessible to JMP users without leaving the JMP platform, I created this guided configuration JMP user interface that allows users to define and use custom JMP add-ins that execute R functions. This add-in allows end users to analyze their data in JMP using R functions without writing JSL or R code.

This program utilizes the JMP to R connection, and can also be adapted to create custom add-ins for functions in other languages, such as Python and JSL itself.

See a video demo of the JMP to R Add-In Builder here or below:

Requirements

1. R must be installed on your computer. Install R from https://www.r-project.org/
  2. The add-in only runs on Windows OS.
  3. If applicable, install the appropriate packages in R that you will use in your R code.

Usage Notes

1. If you use column selects or column lists in your add-in, be sure to open your data table prior to running the configuration UI.
  2. Each function created will only have one column list maximum.
  3. All the column selects will be grouped together in one column; enter the same column for all column selects.
  4. Each of the button names for column selects must be unique.
  5. Column selects and column lists will be placed at the top of their respective column.
  6. In your R code, reference your data table as “dt”.
  7. If you are appending a column to a table and are having the user select the column type, in your R code, refer to the string that contains the user’s choice as “colType”.
  8. The values for check boxes are returned as ‘0’ (unchecked) or ‘1’ (checked).
  9. Paste R code in as you normally would in the R console except for the following difference.
    When referencing the name of a variable as a string as a parameter of a function, use the eval(parse()) function in R. For example:
    eval(parse(text=paste("x <- subset(dt, select=-", colnames(factor)[1], ")")))
    This evaluates the expression and uses the string stored in colnames(factor)[1] in the function operation.

How It Works: Creating a Support Vector Machine (SVM) Function as an Example

STEP 0

Install and open the JMP to R Add-In Builder.

NOTE: If you use column selects or column lists in your add-in, be sure to open your data table prior to running the configuration UI AND prior to running the add-in you create.Step 0: Install and Open Add-InStep 0: Install and Open Add-In

STEP 1Step 1: Enter Number of Components and ColumnsStep 1: Enter Number of Components and ColumnsThe first screen asks for the number of components* and columns# in your add-in.

*The five types of components supported are: Check Box, Column List, Column Select, Dropdown Menu, and Numeric Value. Each column select comes with its own assignment button, so count each column select and corresponding button as one component.

#The number of columns refer to display columns in which components appear. For example, there are two display columns in the UI for this example (see below).

NOTE: The “Action” column is grouped with the column select column, meaning those two objects grouped together counts as one column.Step1b.png

STEP 2

Next, for each of your components, identify the type.

NOTE: Enter the components in the order you’d like them to appear on your add-in, column-wise. This means that all components in each column must be in sequential order in the dropdowns you specified, but you do not have to enter values strictly column by column.

For example, you can enter the types for component 1, column 1; then component 1, column 2; then component 2, column 1; then component 2, column 2 rather than column by column if you so desire.Step 2: Enter Component TypesStep 2: Enter Component Types

STEP 3

For each component, select the column in which it should appear.

On this screen, also define the parameters for each component as follows:

• Check Box: Enter the name (label) for the component.
  • Column List: Other than selecting the column, no action needed.
  • Column Select: Check all the properties that apply to your selection box.
  • Dropdown Menu: Enter the label for the dropdown menu and the choices for the menu. DO NOT include a space after commas (i.e. list things as a,b,c,d), but the names and choices themselves can contain spaces. The first name you write in the list will be taken as the name for the dropdown menu, and the rest will be listed as choices in the order in which you type them.
  • Numeric Value: Enter the name (label) for the component.

Step 3: Enter Component ParametersStep 3: Enter Component Parameters

STEP 4

If your add-in uses column selects, enter the names for each of the buttons for your corresponding column selects in the order they should appear. Otherwise, click ‘Next’.

Step 4: Enter Column Select Names, if ApplicableStep 4: Enter Column Select Names, if Applicable

STEP 5

This screen displays a preview of the add-in UI you’ve created.

Step 5: Add-In User Interface PreviewStep 5: Add-In User Interface Preview

STEP 6

On this page, name your add-in and give it a description (which will be displayed under the add-in name).Step 6: Name and Describe Add-InStep 6: Name and Describe Add-In

STEP 7

On this screen, define the input and output variable names that will be used in your R code. These should only be one word (no spaces).

For the output variables, DO NOT include a space after commas (i.e. list variables as a,b,c).Step 7: Define Input and Output VariablesStep 7: Define Input and Output Variables 

STEP 8

On this screen, enter the R code that your function will run. The R code should be in R syntax (i.e. could be run directly in an R console).

The code should reference the variable names you declared on the previous screen.

Also enter the number of output displays for the function. The four types of output displays currently supported are:

• Append Column in Existing Table
  • Most Recent R Plot
  • Open Table
  • Results Window with Text or Numbers

Step 8: Enter R Code and Number of Output DisplaysStep 8: Enter R Code and Number of Output Displays

R Code for this example:

library(e1071)
library(gridExtra)

theText <- paste("x <- subset(dt, select=-", colnames(factor)[1], ")")
eval(parse(text=theText))
y <- factor
svm_model <- svm(x, y, type=svmType)
modelText <- paste("second.svm <- svm(", colnames(factor)[1], " ~ ., data = dt)")
eval(parse(text=modelText))

summary(svm_model)
summary(second.svm)
pred <- predict(svm_model, x)
pred <- as.vector(pred)

if(is.list(y)) {y <- unlist(y)}
predTable <- table(pred,y)
predTable <- as.data.frame(predTable)

eval(parse(text=paste(colnames(y_var)[1], "<- as.vector(as.matrix(y_var))")))
eval(parse(text=paste(colnames(x_var)[1], "<- as.vector(as.matrix(x_var))")))

max1 <- eval(parse(text=paste("max(", colnames(y_var)[1], ")")))
max2 <- eval(parse(text=paste("max(", colnames(x_var)[1], ")")))
gridSize <- eval(parse(text=paste("max(c(", max1, ",", max2, "))")))

eval(parse(text=paste("plot(second.svm, dt, ", colnames(y_var)[1], " ~ ", colnames(x_var)[1], ", fill=TRUE, grid=gridSize)")))

STEP 9

For each of the output displays you have selected, specify the type.Step 9: Select Output Display TypesStep 9: Select Output Display Types

STEP 10

Provide the parameters for each output display you selected as follows:

• For Column Append, enter the name of the column that will be appended to the currently open table, the type of data the column contains, and the output variable specified earlier that will contain the list of values that will populate the column.
  • For Table, enter the output variable specified earlier that will contain the table.
  • For R Plot, enter the format of the graphics you want to retrieve from R (png or jpg).
  • For Window, enter the results text as it should appear in the results window. If you would like the values of input/output variables to be displayed, surround the variable names with the caret (^) symbol. Also enter the name of the window you’d like to be displayed.

Step 10: Provide Output Display ParametersStep 10: Provide Output Display ParametersYou can now find the add-in file in the directory you chose!

Step11a.png

To install the add-in, double-click on the add-in and JMP should ask you whether to install it. Click “Install”. It should now appear in your Add-Ins menu in JMP.Step11b.png

To run the add-in, open the data table you’d like to perform the operation on (if applicable) so that it is the current table. Click on your add-in as shown above and the add-in dialog should open.

Step11c.PNG

For this example, the three outputs are a prediction column, confusion matrix, and SVM plot. The results for the inputs shown above are as follows, with the first view being the newly added report output format in version 2:Output view from add-in version 2Output view from add-in version 2

Output view from add-in version 1Output view from add-in version 1

Editing Add-in

To edit your add-in, open the directory in which you saved your .jmpaddin file. Change the extension to .zip:Step11e.png

Open up the .txt file that has your add-in’s name:

Step11f.png

This is your config file. If you wish to make any changes to your add-in, such as R code or variable names, you can directly edit your inputs in this document, save the .txt file and the .zip file, change the extension back to .jmpaddin, and reinstall your add-in. The changes will be reflected if you changed the values correctly.Step11g.png

Please see the attached documentation for a second example (Piecewise Aggregate Approximation of Time Series, R code adapted from here) and other notes. Attached are also the two examples (SVM, PAA) I created with this add-in.

What R add-ins have you created with this add-in? What improvements would you like to see? Let me know in the comments below!

Comments
Alfredo

Thanks for the "JMP to R Add-In Builder" !
Are you planning to create a Mac version? After all, the "M" in JMP stans for a lot of users, doesn't it?

Cheers, 

@Alfredo -- this was a summer project completed by one of our interns and we ran out of summer before completing everything that we wanted to (including macOS support). Hopefully we can pick this back up next summer!

This is great, particularly for those of us like me who are non-coders.  Thanks fo your contribution.

rwright

I'd like to second the Mac version request.

This looks like a life-changing feature, but I'm confused about how to use it. My attempt doesn't work, and I don't know why. Most likely, I'm confused about how to pass information from JSL to R or back.  Can you please explain the 

eval(parse(text=...))

statements? Perhaps it would help me if you colored the text in your example by which functions were JSL and which were R? 

rwright

If you refer to Usage Note #9, you'll see that eval(parse... is an R function. Also near there you'll see that this only works on Windows OS, so if you're running under OSX, you might get a little frustrated - add your voice for OSX support.

There are other articles demoing how to run R under JMP. If you're needs are simple, you might consult these - passing R code and parameters under JMP is pretty straightforward.

Just a quick note to say that this add-in is now available without encryption. However there are no plans for future development of this add-in at this time. It was a summer intern project in 2017 when Julia was working in the JMP division of SAS. While no new features or bug fixes are planned, we made the source code available so if someone in the community is interested in digging into the code or debugging cases where it doesn't work properly the can do so. If you make improvements or bug fixes, I encourage you to re-post and updated version to the File Exchange for community's benefit. Best, Dan Valente JMP Product Management

The new version (add-in without encryption) has this error when I get to step 4:Untitled.png

Regarding the NRow or NCol error above, if anyone else finds this error, I think I found the cause. A bug in the JSL code generated by the addin builder near line 140. I think the line:

createdAddin[4][configAnswers3[p]][1][configAnswers4[p]][2] << get()

should read

createdAddin[4][configAnswers3[p]][1][ notColSelectCt + yesColumnList][2] << get()
jpmontagne

This is brilliant! JMP, please assign a new summer intern to expand this to Mac.

I see this "can also be adapted to create custom add-ins for functions in other languages, such as Python". How would we create a plugin that uses python?