cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
robert_d_
Level II

writing negative exponents in graph axis titles

I frequently need to use negative exponents to express units like grams per cubic centimeter g cm^-3 and so on in axis titles, labels etc. How can I do this in JMP? I've found no satisfying answer to this question online. Is there a scripting workaround?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
XanGregg
Staff

Re: writing negative exponents in graph axis titles

Unicode has numeric superscript and subscript characters, which might be enough in this case, assuming your font supports those characters.  For example, "g cm³". The superscripts: ⁰ ¹ ² ³ ⁴ ⁵ ⁶ ⁷ ⁸ ⁹ ⁺ ⁻ ⁼ ⁽ ⁾.

robert_d_
Level II

It would indeed be enough if it actually worked. JMP does not recognize keyboard Unicode, but it does ASCII. So I can get positive exponents with ACSII but not negatives because ASCII has no code for these. Would be nice of JMP developers to provide sub- and superscript options in the font dialog like everyone else.

mpb
mpb
Level VII

It's kind of clunky and I don't know how robust this would be, but in a pinch you can use the list of exponents in Xan's post as a sort of pallet to copy from and paste into, say, a JMP column name.

XanGregg
Staff

You can enter the character on Windows with the ALT key in hex mode. This website has helpful instructions and codes for characters by name: http://www.fileformat.info/tip/microsoft/enter_unicode.htm

The Alt key must remain pressed while typing all the characters.

superscript minus: Alt +207B  (the "+" needs to be typed but not the space)

superscript 3: Alt +00B3