cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
abmayfield
Level VI

world map server compatibility

I have successfully used 1-2 world map servers in the past through GraphBuilder but am encountering issues recently (JMP Pro 16). I can't figure out if it's something on my/JMP's end, or the WMS themselves. For instance, the US government has all these presumably WMS-like mapping products: 

Note: tiled services may show up as Web Map Tile Service (WMTS), rather than WMS. Most software that can load a WMS should be also able to handle a WMTS:

GEBCO Basemap (NCEI visualization) - tiled, hosted on ArcGIS Online

Or, perhaps you could use one of Esri's basemap services, such as Esri's Ocean Basemap:

None of these work. I enter the URL and the layer, and nothing happens. What I wonder is: maybe these are the URLs for the website that explains the capacity of the WMS, but they are not the actual pages that contain the data JMP needs to produce the maps. The first example, though, certainly SEEMS like it would be the correct address! Hypothesis #2: note the "arcgis" in the links. I wonder if these were specifically formatted to work ONLY in ARCGIS (which I am trying to avoid) and not JMP, even though they were generated with open-source, open-GIS software. Does anyone know why these (and many other) WMS do NOT work with JMP? 
Anderson B. Mayfield
0 REPLIES 0