cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

How do I split column data by information in the column headings?

Hi all,

I am having some trouble splitting data by the information in the headings. I want to compare certain variables (GT, AC etc) between two groups (x & y) across a certain duration (Run).

callumannette_0-1634895678709.png

If I utilise graph builder with the above table format there is a fair amount of clutter:

callumannette_1-1634895870290.png

I was thinking there would be some way to add another column to each of the current columns, marking one half of the data as belonging to x - and the other half of the data as belonging to y. That way I could split the data in the graph builder by the variable x/y. I haven't managed to find a way of doing that so far, though I am guessing there is perhaps a basic way around this issue. I thought about labelling values or choosing an option from the tables dropdown like subset but I appear to be gated by ineptitude. 

Would anyone be able to provide a suggestion on how to sort out my table, or knows of a thread where this sort of issue may have been covered previously? 

Thanks,

Callum

E:

So I think I found a solution, but cannot find a way to take the post down (Doh!).

I am reformatting the table in general to have columns for the pair (GT/AC/GA), the group (x or y) and the numerical data. Having all of the numerical data in one column, as opposed to what was basically two different tables within the same data table will likely fix the issue I had. 

2 REPLIES 2
jthi
Super User

Re: How do I split column data by information in the column headings?

You could try stacking columns first. And then split the Label column into two different columns to get name and coordinate.

Start:

jthi_0-1634896954535.png

Stacked:

jthi_1-1634896963200.png

Then from colums menu you can find Text To Columns and use it on Label column

jthi_2-1634896990479.png

jthi_3-1634897006806.png

jthi_5-1634897091715.png

-Jarmo
txnelson
Super User

Re: How do I split column data by information in the column headings?

If I am interpreting what you are wanting to do, is that you want to be able to reduce the number of rows in your data table that are displayed.  An easy way to do that, is to create a random sample of your data table and then run your graph based on the random sample.

The Subset platform has the capability of creating a random sample of your data

Tables=>Subset

txnelson_0-1634898624843.png

Jim