cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
konradkk
Level III

verifying 95% exact binomial confidence in JMP - Lower CI OK but Upper not?

Hi,

I would like to ask if somebody has encounter the issue I got. I would like to verify the 95% CI for a case as below in the table.

95% Confidence Intervals for the True Rate at all Possible Observed Rates within a Subgroup (n=15)

Observed Rate

Lower Bound 95% CI

Upper Bound 95% CI

5/15

I used JMP Analyze/Distribution and got the correct Lower CI (0.151763 which verifies 0.152 in the table above) but not Upper (0.582865 vs 0.723) - why would it be?

Level

Count

Prob

Lower CI

Upper CI

1-Alpha

No

Yes

Total

Thank you in advance for any help,

Konrad

4 REPLIES 4
MRB3855
Super User

Re: verifying 95% exact binomial confidence in JMP - Lower CI OK but Upper not?

How are you calculating the numbers in the top table?  JMP, in the bottom table, uses the Score method.

konradkk
Level III

The top numbers were given to me and I only know that SAS (no code was given) was used to derive them and I wanted to verify them using JMP.
Thank you
Konrad
MRB3855
Super User

There are a variety of statistical methods, within SAS' proc freq, to calculate such intervals. I *think* the defaults are the Clopper-Pearson and Wald, respectively. But there are many other methods within proc freq (and perhaps some other procs), and without knowing which was used it would be hard to verify via JMP.

https://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/63347/HTML/default/viewer.htm#statug_freq_a00000...

konradkk
Level III

Thank you very much. I requested the SAS code use so hopefully it will help to clarify what method was used. Thank you again, Konrad