cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
JMP2021
Level III

summary function

I noticed the summary function did not category the row correctly when the table is huge this week.

I have one column (e.g. col A) containing very long characters. I try to see how many unique rows per the content of col A. JMP did generate a summary table without any error messages. To my surprise, the sub-table per the summary table still contains some unique rows. Anyone knows why?

3 REPLIES 3
txnelson
Super User

Re: summary function

1. Upper/Lower case mismatches
  2. Double spaces between words for some entries and single spaces for other entries
  3. Preceding or trailing blanks
  4. Non printable characters
Jim
JMP2021
Level III

The discrepancy I observed seems like that the criteria used to define matching row by Table summary function is different from that used by selecting matching rows. is this true? If yes, please elaborate the difference.

txnelson
Super User

If you create a new column, baised ono the grouping column in the Summary that is producing the unique rows, and specify the formula
Hex(your column of concern here)
you will be able to compare the exact values for all of the characters in the cells. What you need to do then, is to compare the unique row data with the non unique row and see what the difference is.
Jim