Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
gchesterton
Level IV

split plot using custom design -- modeling terms confusion

Hi. I'm using JMP Pro 15.2.1.

I'm doing a split plot design where X1 is my very hard to change factor with 3 levels (whole plots) and X2 is a hard to change factor with 3 levels (subplots). Only two of the three levels of X2 can be done in each whole plot, so I designated 3 whole plots and 6 subplots to achieve that effect, where the hard to change factor can NOT change independently of the very hard to change factor.

custom dialog.jpg

After clicking 'make design':

design result.jpg

The default 'Fit Model' dialog:

fit model.jpg

I'm confused why JMP includes the 'whole plot' and 'subplots' terms in the construct model effects window, in addition to the X1 and X2 terms that are those whole and subplot factors. Is that not redundant? 

10 REPLIES 10
Victor_G
Super User

Re: split plot using custom design -- modeling terms confusion

Hi Greg,

If possible, you can add a column with all the column properties for random block effect, in order to account for operator (as a random effect) in the model, and fill the column with the values from the operators assignment.
This setup may not be optimal, as experiments won't be randomized within operators blocks (and operators blocks may not be similar) but it could help reduce unattributed experimental variance. 
Again, trying both analysis (with and without this operator random effect) may help you figure out which model does make sense and is the most appropriate for your topic.

Victor GUILLER
Scientific Expertise Engineer
L'Oréal - Data & Analytics