cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
wongpl
Level II

shift row 1 up as title

I have a CSV file and import into JMP. Upon import into the JMP, the title is in Row 1 instead in the title section.

can i know what is the command to shift the row 1 data to become the title?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: shift row 1 up as title

Hi WongPL,

Although the method Jeff pointed you to is a quick way to handle your problem, you might also be interested in the "Column Name Utility" add-in:

Column Name Utility

This add-in will let you shift rows up into the column names. If you run into this problem often (like when importing excel data where the file has several blank rows at the top) then this add-in will save you quite a bit of time.

I hope this helps!

Julian

View solution in original post

XanGregg
Staff

Another approach is to choose "Data with Preview" when you open the CSV file. In the preview you have a chance to tell it about column headers in the raw data.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Jeff_Perkinson

You can copy and paste them.

Check out this blog post to see the technique.

Column Names Got You Down? Try This. - JMP Blog

-Jeff

-Jeff
julian

Hi WongPL,

Although the method Jeff pointed you to is a quick way to handle your problem, you might also be interested in the "Column Name Utility" add-in:

Column Name Utility

This add-in will let you shift rows up into the column names. If you run into this problem often (like when importing excel data where the file has several blank rows at the top) then this add-in will save you quite a bit of time.

I hope this helps!

Julian

wongpl
Level II

Hi Julian,

Is there any way that i can see the code?  I am writing some Jmp script to import files. I was thinking there is some code that i can execute so that i can shift the row 1 become the title of each column.

rgds,

Wong

julian

Hi Wong,

Definitely. Once you have downloaded the add-in, go to JMP, File > Open, then select the add-in (but don't open it yet) and check the box that says "Edit After Opening." This will open the add-in editor rather than installing the add-in. You can look through the different scripts for each menu item and extract what is useful.

Julian

XanGregg
Staff

Another approach is to choose "Data with Preview" when you open the CSV file. In the preview you have a chance to tell it about column headers in the raw data.

If you already have the data in jmp. Go to "Cols" < "Column Names" < "Move up".  If you already have column names and wanted to add the row 1 meta data, select "Move up and append".