Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Kip1
Level II

setting Graph Builder error bar properties JMP Pro 15.2.1

JMP experts:

Is there a way to set error bar properties in Graph Builder globally? For example, I prefer small end caps on my error bars. It seems one must edit each variable's properties individually which is very tedious work across many variables. I've looked under Preferences>Graph and Style and didn't find anything there.

What's the secret?

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

Re: setting Graph Builder error bar properties JMP Pro 15.2.1

dKip1, 

I don't know how to set a global property for error bar end caps.  However, JSL or scripting can make tedious customization easier. Below is a simple example.  JSL can also be used to create an Application or an Add-in that prompts for X, Y, Color etc. variables and applies the favored customizations. In other words, it works as a front-end to getting the inputs and applies the customizations. 

Names Default To Here( 1 );
Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );
obj = Graph Builder( 
            Variables( X( :age ), Y( :weight ), Color (:age) ), 
            Elements( Bar( X, Y , Legend(5), Error Interval ("Standard Deviation") ) )
       );
frame = Report( obj )[FrameBox( 1 )];  //get a handle for the graph FrameBox

seg = (frame << XPath("//BarSeg"));    //get a handle for the bars

//--- can customize all at once ---/
seg << {Error Bar Cap( "Tiny"), Line Color( "Medium Dark Gray"), Line Width( 2 ) } ;

//--- can customize (set properties) individually ---/

//seg << Set Error Bar Cap( "Tiny");
//seg << Set Line Color( "Medium Dark Gray");
//seg << Set Line Width( 2 ) ;
Kip1
Level II

gzmorgan0 Thank you for the reply. Scripting as in your example would certainly do the trick but I failed to mention the problem is with variables grouped on the upper x-axis, not lower. Normally, you can customize error bar features across groups on the lower x-axis via the customization menu. It appears that is what your script is calling for.

DB1
DB1
Level II

Black magic, and it worked! In JMP17.2 Pro. Thank you!