BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
HarryG

New Contributor

Mar 20, 2018

removing {} from << get selected variable

the output below puts { } on the date_selection variable. How do I remove the brackets.

output = {"date1"}

desired output ="date1"

date_list=Column(2)<<get values;
show(date_list);
run_select=new window("checkboxes",<<modal(),
vlistbox(cb_list=check box(date_list),
button box("OK",date_selection=cb_list<<get selected)
)
);

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

Solution

Re: removing {} from << get selected variable

All you need to do, is to set the value of the returned variable to being the subscript as you generate the variable.

button box("OK",date_selection=(cb_list<<get selected)[1])

by specifying the date_selection this way, date_selection will be a just a plain numeric variable.

Jim
4 REPLIES 4
julian

Staff

Jun 25, 2014

Hi @HarryG,

When you send the message "<< get selected" to the checkbox cb_list, JMP will return a list of all the selected elements, which as you noticed is not equivalent to a simple text string (which is what the { } indicate). If you wish to access the just the text "date1," and that's the first element in the list date_selection, you can subscript the list either with brackets or the subscript function:  date_selection[1]   or   subscript(date_selection,1).  Both of these operations will return "date1" if that's the first element in your list. 

I hope this helps!

@julian

HarryG

New Contributor

Mar 20, 2018

Thanks @julian for the quick response! also thanks for letting me know my output is a List and not a simple string.  this case the output selection will always be only 1, so a list is not needed.

when I use either  date_selection[1]   or   subscript(date_selection,1) my output now looks like {{"date1"}}. Another set of brackets is added. I wanted to reduce the number of brackets, not add them. LOL! :)

txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

Solution

All you need to do, is to set the value of the returned variable to being the subscript as you generate the variable.

button box("OK",date_selection=(cb_list<<get selected)[1])

by specifying the date_selection this way, date_selection will be a just a plain numeric variable.

Jim
HarryG

New Contributor

Mar 20, 2018

Thanks @txnelson!!

that did the trick! the output is now a simple string as desired.