cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
HarryG
Level I

removing {} from << get selected variable

the output below puts { } on the date_selection variable. How do I remove the brackets.

output = {"date1"};

desired output = "date1";

date_list = Column( 2 ) << get values;
Show( date_list );
run_select = New Window( "checkboxes",
	<<modal(),
	V List Box(
		cb_list = Check Box( date_list ),
		Button Box( "OK", date_selection = cb_list << get selected )
	)
);
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: removing {} from << get selected variable

All you need to do, is to set the value of the returned variable to being the subscript as you generate the variable.

button box("OK",date_selection=(cb_list<<get selected)[1])

by specifying the date_selection this way, date_selection will be a just a plain numeric variable.

Jim

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Hi @HarryG,

When you send the message "<< get selected" to the checkbox cb_list, JMP will return a list of all the selected elements, which as you noticed is not equivalent to a simple text string (which is what the { } indicate). If you wish to access the just the text "date1," and that's the first element in the list date_selection, you can subscript the list either with brackets or the subscript function:  date_selection[1]   or   subscript(date_selection,1).  Both of these operations will return "date1" if that's the first element in your list. 

I hope this helps!

@julian

HarryG
Level I

Thanks @julian for the quick response! also thanks for letting me know my output is a List and not a simple string.  this case the output selection will always be only 1, so a list is not needed.

when I use either  date_selection[1]   or   subscript(date_selection,1) my output now looks like {{"date1"}}. Another set of brackets is added. I wanted to reduce the number of brackets, not add them. LOL! :)

txnelson
Super User

All you need to do, is to set the value of the returned variable to being the subscript as you generate the variable.

by specifying the date_selection this way, date_selection will be a just a plain numeric variable.

Jim
HarryG
Level I

Thanks @txnelson!!

that did the trick! the output is now a simple string as desired.

ankitgssingh
Level III

Hello 

I have a follow up question on this. If I want all the items in the list instead of a single one and I dont want them in brackets similar to the above question. What can I do to get that? 

If I try this, I get the first item only without brackets. 

If I try this, I get all the items but with brackets. I want all the items in cb_list but without the brackets. 

button box("OK",date_selection=(cb_list<<get selected))

txnelson
Super User

The  << get selected message returns a JMP list.  JMP Lists are noted by the curly brackets { "A", "B", "C" }.  Just like a JMP matrix is noted by square brackets  [ 4, 3, 5 ].

Why do you want the curly brackets removed?

Jim
ankitgssingh
Level III

What if I want all the items in the list but without brackets. So something like this "Cats", "Dogs" instead of {"Cats", "Dogs"} ? 

As in my case the list if the list of columns selected in a data filter. I want to use that list of columns in a formula column to concat the values in those list of columns. 

dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );

myPlatform = New Window( "Filter Col Selector Example",
fontobj = lb = Filter Col Selector( width( 250 ) ),
button box("OK", date_selection=(lb<<get selected); myPlatform << close window;)
);

//creating the formulacol

dt << new column("FINALNEW", Formula(Concat( date_selection ) ) );
txnelson
Super User

I think this is the best way to handle the issue

Names Default To Here( 1 );
dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/big class.jmp" );

date_selection = {"name", "sex"};
cString = concat items(date_selection, ","); Eval( Parse( "dt << new column(\!"FINALNEW\!", Formula(Concat(" || cString || " ) ) );" ) );
Jim
vince_faller
Super User (Alumni)

I'll always argue against Eval(Parse()) :p 

You can just do the concat items directly with << Set Each Value (so you don't need to have the variable set)

Names default to here(1);
dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );

myPlatform = New Window( "Filter Col Selector Example", << modal, 
	fontobj = lb = Filter Col Selector( width( 250 ) ),
	button box("OK", date_selection=(lb<<get selected))
);

//creating the formulacol

dt << new column("FINALNEW", character, <<SetEachValue(Concatitems( date_selection, "," ) ) );

I wonder what you're actually doing with that column if it's really a list of dates, it might be worth just putting the list into a column as an expression column type.  Depending on how you're using this column.  

// using an expression column
dt << new column("FINALNEW_expression", expression, <<SetEachValue(date_selection ) );

Vince Faller - Predictum