cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Have your say in shaping JMP's future by participating in the new JMP Wish List Prioritization Survey
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
hcarr01
Level VI

parameter interactions

Bonjour à tous,

Je me pose quelques questions par rapport aux interactions dans JMP.
J’essaye d’analyser l’impact de différents paramètres sur une variable Y.

A partir du modèle linéaire et de la régression des moindres carrés je crée des interactions entre les paramètres.
Par exemple JMP crée des interactions telles que : A*B, A*C...

Première question : Existe-t-il d’autres outils pour calculer les interactions entre les paramètres ?
Deuxième question : Lorsque JMP indique l’interaction A*B, comment il caractérise concrètement cette interaction ? Cela ne correspond pas à A multiplié par B.

Merci pour vos réponses.
Cordialement
5 REPLIES 5
statman
Super User

Re: parameter interactions

Here are my thoughts:

1. I'm not sure what you mean by other tools?  There are a number of methods to build/analyze models.  Typically models are analyzed using the fit model platform:

https://www.jmp.com/support/help/en/17.1/?os=mac&source=application#page/jmp/model-specification.sht...

I personally like to visualize interactions, so interaction plots are quite useful.

2.  How JMP handles the estimation of interaction effects is dependent on the type of data (e.g., nominal, ordinal, continuous) and how the data was acquired. Interactions between variables are commonly coded as the product of two independent variables in statistical analysis. This practice is based on the concept of interaction effects, which refers to the combined effect of two or more variables on an outcome.  When the effect of a factor depends on another factor, this is an interaction. For continuous variables in an experiment, the levels are coded equidistant centered on zero (e.g., -1, 1 for 2-level factors).  The coding "normalizes" the coefficients to make analysis easier.  If you code your variables, then, indeed the interaction of A*B is the product of the main effects A and B:

A  B  A*B

-1 -1   1

1  -1  -1

-1  1  -1

1   1   1

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box
hcarr01
Level VI

Merci pour votre réponse.

1. Par outil j’entends le mot méthode. J’ai essayé d’ajuster un modèle linéaire en prenant en compte les paramètres et leurs interactions. Mon modèle a un R carré de 0.55 donc pas assez suffisant pour expliquer ma variable. C’est pour cela que je ne peux pas me baser sur mon modèle pour considérer mes interactions... C’est alors la que je cherche d’autres méthodes d’analyse

2. Je comprends le fonctionnement des interactions avec vos explications, mais sur un exemple concret cela donnerait quoi ?
La table ci-dessous :

hcarr01_0-1686896311273.png

Comment je pourrais créer un paramètre C = height*weight (en terme d’interactions )

Cordialement

statman
Super User

Sorry, not enough context to provide specific advice and your data is not from an experiment.  R-square is just one of several statistics used to assist in building a model (delta R-square-R-square adjusted, RMSE, residuals, p-values, etc.).  I looked at your data table and I'm a bit confused...what is the response variable you are trying to model?  Is it weight (this is what your fit model is modeling in the saved script)?  If the response is weight, you would not put the interaction of height*weight into the model (height is the predictor and weight is the response variable) Also confused because the R-Square adjusted for that fit model is 0.649...don't know where the .55 comes from?  Height and weight are correlated (r=.71) and there are some outliers in your data (both multivariate and residuals).

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box
hcarr01
Level VI

Merci pour votre réponse. 
Les remarques dans mes deux premiers points n’ont aucun rapport avec la BD que j’ai envoyé. C’était juste une BD de test. Je me suis renseigné sur le sujet, c’est maintenant beaucoup plus clair pour moi.
P_Bartell
Level VIII

I agree with @statman wrt to the usefulness of interaction plots. And if you really want to impress your friends at cocktail parties, use the JMP Prediction Profiler slider bars for one of the terms and watch the slope of the second term change as you slide the one term from left to right and back.