cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
vishwasanj
Level V

overlay color issue on graph builder

Hi All,

I tried to plot a bunch of graphs on graph builder with PASS(gray) and Fail(Red) color. Values are such a way that the data points are on top of each other. When I hover on it, it perfectly shows the specific row that failed. But when I try to convert this graph into interactive html, the hovering function points to the "PASS" data beneath the fail data points. Is there any way that I can have the fail points on the top? I tried going into "Customize" option and after Axis and grid lines, I placed the Fails on top of the pass and now I see hovering to be right but the fail points are beneath the pass data points. It looks like it's either the graph or the pointer reference. Am I missing anything? Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: overlay color issue on graph builder

Hello,

I'm not sure if this will work with your data, but you can try ordering the pass/fall column using a Value Ordering or List Check column property. You can swap the ordering with the Reverse button shown below.ListCheck.PNG

This will change the ordering of the overlay in the legend. If that's a problem, you can reorder the legend in the legend settings dialog using the arrows shown below.

LegendSettings.PNG

I hope this helps.

~John

P.S. If you would like to see both the pass and fail markers at the same time, you can change the fail marker shape to a hollow shape by right-clicking on the fail marker in the legend, clicking on Marker, then choose a hollow shape from the marker shape palette.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Hello,

I'm not sure if this will work with your data, but you can try ordering the pass/fall column using a Value Ordering or List Check column property. You can swap the ordering with the Reverse button shown below.ListCheck.PNG

This will change the ordering of the overlay in the legend. If that's a problem, you can reorder the legend in the legend settings dialog using the arrows shown below.

LegendSettings.PNG

I hope this helps.

~John

P.S. If you would like to see both the pass and fail markers at the same time, you can change the fail marker shape to a hollow shape by right-clicking on the fail marker in the legend, clicking on Marker, then choose a hollow shape from the marker shape palette.

vishwasanj
Level V

Thank you John. That's a good solution and I am making it hollow now. Just don't know how to use "Customize graph" option in JSL(Right clicking and reordering). Right now I have Grid line, reference lines, Marker(0), and Marker (1) for 15 graphs side by side. I want to change it to Grid lines, reference lines, Marker(1) and Marker(0). Any idea how to do this? Something on the lines of finding Listbox, frame box or marker seg..

I'm no JSL expert, so I usually rely on saving the script for the current report to a script window to figure out the JSL.

Unfortunately, reordering using customize doesn't appear to show up in the captured script.

I'll ask around here and see if anyone can help. In the mean time, maybe there's a JSL expert "listenting" in who can help us out.

After checking with my colleagues, I learned that the reason there's no JSL in the captured script is because there currently is no JSL message or function that offers this capability. The request for this functionality is already on our radar for a future version of JMP and has been promoted to a higher priority as a result of this discussion. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

There might still be a work around besides the one I mention earlier, but so far, one has not surfaced.

vishwasanj
Level V

Thanks for checking John. Can you find the discrepancy between the graph builder and interactive html that the markers go on top of each other without any command? IS there a way to fix that?

I didn't see the discrepancy when the ordering was explicity given with List Check, but I did see it without it. The issue will need to be addressed internally in the Interactive HTML export. I don't believe there is a way to fix or work around the issue with JSL, so I will make sure the priority to fix this is raised.

If someone in the JMP Community has seen this issue and worked around it, please join the conversation.

vishwasanj
Level V

I found a quick way to go around both the problems. I was able to do a value ordering and put the fails first and made a hollow transparent marker so that it is represented right on the html although it shows the opposite in graph builder.

Excellent!

Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

I can confirm that JMP 16 will include messages to reorder the elements and help with this situation.

-Jeff