cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
dadawasozo
Level IV

output data table query from database is all categorical (numerical columns changed to categorical)

Hi,

I 'm using the query builder to get data from database. The the included columns from table are a mixed of categorical and numerical type. After I clicked Run Query, a table appears and contains all the columns I needed. However , all the columns appear in categorical type. How I can make sure not losing the data type when query data using jmp?

6 REPLIES 6
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: output data table query from database is all categorical (numerical columns changed to categorical)

Here

Right click the icons to get the popup.Right click the icons to get the popup.

Craige
dadawasozo
Level IV

Re: output data table query from database is all categorical (numerical columns changed to categorical)

Yes, under the included columns window I make sure the data type is continuous. However, the table generated after I clicked Run Query change all those continuous to categorical. Is this a bug?

Craige_Hales
Super User

I'm not an expert on query builder, but the simple example worked for me in JMP 16.

It might make a difference if the database columns are character rather than numeric.

What version of JMP?

Add a picture might help too.

Craige
dadawasozo
Level IV

I m using jmp pro 14

what I saying is:
1) when doing query, the continuous-type columns is there (see left of image last row)
2) after clicked Run Query, the table generate shows the previous continuous-type column become categorical (see right side of image)
3) Thus, I wonder if there is bug for jmp pro 14 query builder ? 
4) or, I missed some setting? 

Craige_Hales
Super User

14.3 works as I expect, the continuous default is not changed. I'm out of suggestions, except to look at the source script in the opened table; you might be able to change to "Continuous" (or delete) the highlighted bits and get what you need.

New SQL Query(
Connection(
"ODBC:DSN=CSV;DBQ=C:\SPACE\SAS\JMP\15\SAMPLES\IMPORT DATA;DefaultDir=C:\SPACE\SAS\JMP\15\SAMPLES\IMPORT DATA;DriverId=27;FIL=text;MaxBufferSize=2048;PageTimeout=5;"
),
QueryName( "Big Class.csv" ),
Select(
Column( "name", "t1" ),
Column( "age", "t1" ),
Column( "sex", "t1" ),
Column( "height", "t1", Analysis Type( "Ordinal" ) ),
Column( "weight", "t1", Analysis Type( "Nominal" ) )
),
From( Table( "Big Class.csv", Alias( "t1" ) ) )
) << Run

Beyond that, I'd suggest tech support. (Might be good anyway; it does sound like a bug.)

Craige
dadawasozo
Level IV

Hi ,

I think there is definitely a bug.
I tried 
Column( "height", "t1", Analysis Type( "Ordinal" ) ),     #output table is Ordinal
However, when I do 
Column( "height", "t1", Analysis Type( "Continuous" ) ),    # output table is nominal

So,   that continuous data type property cannot be queried out. I need to add step on downstream where I will need to change the data type back to continuous after table queried.